Autistic fatigue?

Hello im new here, my name is Gareth, 41 years old, I was diagnosed in 2020 just before pandemic hit. Fun times. Grinning

Every few months I have been hitting a wall in terms of energy levels, I enjoy working out as part of my routine and when these energy dips happen it can take a few weeks for them to return to normal.

Ive just heard about autistic fatigue and was wondering if anybody else has experience of this in regards to their energy levels?

Thanks

Parents
  • Do bears defecate in the woods?.......well, not every fortnight or so if they are autistic, because they can't find the energy!

Gareth - Yes.....my ability to function within "reasonable limits" is a constant balancing act;

I can find superhuman stamina, efficiency and inspiration that can last for hours, days, weeks, and even months.   

I can be blighted by a black dog of exhaustion, inefficiency and 'zombie mode' that can last for hours, days, weeks, months and (for my mega burnout = years.)

Be careful with yourself - that it my advice to any autist who hasn't yet experienced/understood just how burnt out some of use can become........and I reckon it tends to hit the ones who generally don't "suffer" so much generally because they have learned to "power-through."

In my experience, "powering-through" should only ever be used VERY sparingly !

• I agree to what you have said! (For a change!)

• So that must mean that (a) Hell is freezing over (b) the moon is falling out of orbit and (c) one of the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse is actually riding an inflatable lama ! 

Reply Children