Autistic fatigue?

Hello im new here, my name is Gareth, 41 years old, I was diagnosed in 2020 just before pandemic hit. Fun times. Grinning

Every few months I have been hitting a wall in terms of energy levels, I enjoy working out as part of my routine and when these energy dips happen it can take a few weeks for them to return to normal.

Ive just heard about autistic fatigue and was wondering if anybody else has experience of this in regards to their energy levels?

Thanks

Parents
  • Yes I think the last year or so I’ve become so tired. It’s really getting to me. Sometimes no matter how much sleep it doesn’t make any difference. And even if I wake feeling full of energy, after driving my dog to a walking spot and back again has me pretty much broken for the rest of the day. I feel like I need a good month or two off of life but that’s never going to happen. I haven’t always been like this, I presume it’s everything catching up with me. Maybe if I could actually get a doctors appointment I’d ask them about it. 

• I feel like I need a good month or two off of life but that’s never going to happen.

Well Zoe, when I hit the stage that you describe, I was able to take a few months off.......it didn't help at all to be honest......those few months became 6 months.....then 8 months.....it was a VERY good rest (a VERY expensive rest)....but I don't think it actually did much for my recovery time to be honest.  I was in no fit state to face the world at the time, I just needed to hide under a rock.  After about 10 months of literally doing sod-all, the guilt (and expense) forced me to get back out into the world.  It was hard and exhausting, but I actually think I was better-off "doing" things(and feeling knackered) rather than not "doing" things (and feeling knackered.)

At the end of the day, and with the benefit of hindsight, I think what I needed was "time" to recover and recharge.........I didn't need a rest per se, I needed time to process my thoughts properly.  I don't know about you, but I think better when I am "doing."

I tell you the above in the hope that it will make you feel less alone - I certainly know what you speak of here - but also to reassure you that the horrible feeling will pass....eventually....and if you are anything like me (and the indications are that this is so), you will come out the other side MUCH happier and MUCH calmer.

Best wishes mate - stay sane in the meanwhile.

Number.

• I feel like I need a good month or two off of life but that’s never going to happen.

Well Zoe, when I hit the stage that you describe, I was able to take a few months off.......it didn't help at all to be honest......those few months became 6 months.....then 8 months.....it was a VERY good rest (a VERY expensive rest)....but I don't think it actually did much for my recovery time to be honest.  I was in no fit state to face the world at the time, I just needed to hide under a rock.  After about 10 months of literally doing sod-all, the guilt (and expense) forced me to get back out into the world.  It was hard and exhausting, but I actually think I was better-off "doing" things(and feeling knackered) rather than not "doing" things (and feeling knackered.)

At the end of the day, and with the benefit of hindsight, I think what I needed was "time" to recover and recharge.........I didn't need a rest per se, I needed time to process my thoughts properly.  I don't know about you, but I think better when I am "doing."

I tell you the above in the hope that it will make you feel less alone - I certainly know what you speak of here - but also to reassure you that the horrible feeling will pass....eventually....and if you are anything like me (and the indications are that this is so), you will come out the other side MUCH happier and MUCH calmer.

Best wishes mate - stay sane in the meanwhile.

Number.

Children
  • Yes you’re probably right. I’m not in a position to take any time off anyway but I suspect nothing would change. I feel guilty on the weekends if I don’t get anything done. I think one of the issues I have is having to do things at certain times for one of my self employed jobs. During the lockdowns (as retired user mentioned) I found life so much easier in general, even though I was probably the busiest I’d ever been in my work. But i could structure my day as I saw fit, rather than sticking to the regimented mon-fri 9-5. It doesn’t seem to work for me. And life in general was so much quieter, I guess I wasn’t being overwhelmed with every day life ‘out there’ too.

Wise words again, thank you, Number.