What is that feeling?

I've always thought that I suffered from panic attacks. Usually in a stressful situation that I can't leave, like a form of claustrophobia.

But recently, when confronting my issues with this response I've started using earplugs in very busy places, and putting them in or taking them out feels almost like a switch to turn the panic on & off.

So, is this a meltdown I am describing, or in fact a panic attack? Do they seem the same to you? Can you differentiate between the two?

Parents
  • I think if you can switch it on and off, it's probably anxiety/sensory overload not a full-on panic attack, because you can't usually control a panic attack. Anyway I'm glad that earplugs are making your life easier!

The NHS has a page about panic attacks if you want to check. www.nhs.uk/.../.

The one time I had a 'big' panic attack it very obvious what was happening. My heart suddenly starting beating really hard, really fast, like it would when I am sprinting, I had a cold sweat and I dissociated (I felt like I was floating outside my body).

I think a meltdown is more of an emotional response rather than physiological, e.g. getting very overwhelmed/uspet about something and crying loads. I would usually get over it quite fast when I leave the situation.

Sometimes I am not sure if I've had a 'panic attack' or if I have just been feeling panicked. However, does it really matter? The same techniques will help for preventing it.

• I think if you can switch it on and off, it's probably anxiety/sensory overload not a full-on panic attack, because you can't usually control a panic attack. Anyway I'm glad that earplugs are making your life easier!

The NHS has a page about panic attacks if you want to check. www.nhs.uk/.../.

The one time I had a 'big' panic attack it very obvious what was happening. My heart suddenly starting beating really hard, really fast, like it would when I am sprinting, I had a cold sweat and I dissociated (I felt like I was floating outside my body).

I think a meltdown is more of an emotional response rather than physiological, e.g. getting very overwhelmed/uspet about something and crying loads. I would usually get over it quite fast when I leave the situation.

Sometimes I am not sure if I've had a 'panic attack' or if I have just been feeling panicked. However, does it really matter? The same techniques will help for preventing it.

Children
No Data