Silence

I am most comfortable with complete silence.

I wonder if this is the autism at play?

When I was growing up our house was always noisy and I think I was traumatised by it.

There were no quiet refuges - I even shared a bedroom until I left home.

My mum had to have sound on all the time.  I believe she was autistic but I think she had an under sensitivity to noise, which I'm pretty sure I've read can also be an autism thing.

Then I had a series of shared flats, which were noisy, then bedsits until I purchased a quiet flat in my 30s.

Then I lived in a nice Victorian house on my own which still had some noise, as it was on a busy road in Portsmouth and terraced.

Nowadays I am lucky.

The last 15 years I have lived in a very quiet detached house where once the windows are closed there is no outside (or inside often) noise at all.

My husband is a quiet person + spends a lot of time in his studio outside.

It's taken me a long time to get to this quiet place in my life - I am now 61.

How do you respond to noise/silence?

Parents
  • Silence for me. Sound can be unbearable, especially when you get constant high pitched sounds all day and night (tinnitus). I love my own space, no sounds, no raised voices, just total and utter silence, except for the tinnitus but it can be quiet at times.

Silence is golden. Since moving in to my own place, it's a struggle coping by myself but I love the isolation and silence I get from it. At home, there was constant arguing and my dad played his music so loud at times I just cried l, I couldn't get away from it. But now, I've got my own house, my silence that I can escape in when the going gets tough.

Bliss peaceful tranquility.

• Hi - I'm interested in tinnitus.....I've been afflicted for about 6 months now (coincided with two pretty major things in my life.)  Do you notice any pattern to your tinnitus?  Did it suddenly start or have you always been afflicted?

• It accompanies anxiety for me which is common I think

• Noted - thanks.

Reply Children
No Data