Silence

I am most comfortable with complete silence.

I wonder if this is the autism at play?

When I was growing up our house was always noisy and I think I was traumatised by it.

There were no quiet refuges - I even shared a bedroom until I left home.

My mum had to have sound on all the time.  I believe she was autistic but I think she had an under sensitivity to noise, which I'm pretty sure I've read can also be an autism thing.

Then I had a series of shared flats, which were noisy, then bedsits until I purchased a quiet flat in my 30s.

Then I lived in a nice Victorian house on my own which still had some noise, as it was on a busy road in Portsmouth and terraced.

Nowadays I am lucky.

The last 15 years I have lived in a very quiet detached house where once the windows are closed there is no outside (or inside often) noise at all.

My husband is a quiet person + spends a lot of time in his studio outside.

It's taken me a long time to get to this quiet place in my life - I am now 61.

How do you respond to noise/silence?

Parents
  • Thank you all for your replies.

What an interesting read.

Definitely autism related then.

Even when people play music, it tends to be to counteract other sounds.

or a clock ticking in the other room.

When I was young all clocks were wind up.

I remember as a child putting my bedside clock under a pillow on the floor.

All these little' tells' I now have a context for from when I was a child.

I think often it's volume, more than sound itself, that really drains me.

Yes, me too.

I went into the toilet of a garden centre recently and they were playing loud music in there.

I mean, WTF!  Why does music need to be in every public place?

Sound that I can't control is the biggest challenge. 

Yes, control is the key.

I think what we find with age is that we can make our lives quite liveable, we just need to set the rules and not be told what they think we need to do

That's a nice, positive viewpoint.

Tinnitus seems to have stolen my silence.

I'm very sorry to read that.

I have only suffered from it as a side effect of antidepressant withdrawal, and it's very distracting.

Also we had new neighbours 6 months ago and they have changed heating system, rewired, added an extra toilet, new kitchen, removed some ceilings etc. so there have been a lot of sudden drilling noises and as he works during the day, when he is there it can go on until 9.

Ugh.  Poor you Frowning2

I am at peace with complete silence and a good book.

My idea of Heaven.

The place where you live sounds idyllic. My dream is a detached country cottage with the only sounds being from nature 

It isn't idyllic but it's as good as I think I'm going to achieve in my lifetime, and I feel blessed.

I live in a cul-de-sac with a park at one end and at the other end, a pub on one corner, a Tesco Express on the other.

So, a busy road.  Close houses.  But still, much better than I've experienced in the past and I know from reading this forum, better than some people are living with now.

Your dream would be mine too.  Bliss (although I think as you grow older a general store nearby is invaluable).

But now, I've got my own house, my silence that I can escape in when the going gets tough.

Bliss peaceful tranquility.

Nice.  I'm glad you have that now.

• Thank you all for your replies.

What an interesting read.

Definitely autism related then.

Even when people play music, it tends to be to counteract other sounds.

or a clock ticking in the other room.

When I was young all clocks were wind up.

I remember as a child putting my bedside clock under a pillow on the floor.

All these little' tells' I now have a context for from when I was a child.

I think often it's volume, more than sound itself, that really drains me.

Yes, me too.

I went into the toilet of a garden centre recently and they were playing loud music in there.

I mean, WTF!  Why does music need to be in every public place?

Sound that I can't control is the biggest challenge. 

Yes, control is the key.

I think what we find with age is that we can make our lives quite liveable, we just need to set the rules and not be told what they think we need to do

That's a nice, positive viewpoint.

Tinnitus seems to have stolen my silence.

I'm very sorry to read that.

I have only suffered from it as a side effect of antidepressant withdrawal, and it's very distracting.

Also we had new neighbours 6 months ago and they have changed heating system, rewired, added an extra toilet, new kitchen, removed some ceilings etc. so there have been a lot of sudden drilling noises and as he works during the day, when he is there it can go on until 9.

Ugh.  Poor you Frowning2

I am at peace with complete silence and a good book.

My idea of Heaven.

The place where you live sounds idyllic. My dream is a detached country cottage with the only sounds being from nature 

It isn't idyllic but it's as good as I think I'm going to achieve in my lifetime, and I feel blessed.

I live in a cul-de-sac with a park at one end and at the other end, a pub on one corner, a Tesco Express on the other.

So, a busy road.  Close houses.  But still, much better than I've experienced in the past and I know from reading this forum, better than some people are living with now.

Your dream would be mine too.  Bliss (although I think as you grow older a general store nearby is invaluable).

But now, I've got my own house, my silence that I can escape in when the going gets tough.

Bliss peaceful tranquility.

Nice.  I'm glad you have that now.

Children
  • I remember lying awake at night as a child listening to the clock in my room ticking. It seemed very loud, although it probably wasn't.

I hate the omnipresent public music too, and, increasingly, video screens. Why? Including at the doctor's surgery now, one place where you would think many people would want some quiet. Although the TV at the surgery seems to show adverts, so that's probably a money-making device.