Thinking About Workplace Adjustments

I struggle to advocate for myself in the workplace. I have to deal with things like using multiple documents at once or doing things with multiple steps which is hard with executive functioning issues. I have lists of what to do, but I still make mistakes sometimes, not least because I don’t always remember to look at the lists. I also have to make and take phone calls occasionally. Periodically, there are days when I have to make a lot of important and very difficult phone calls, which means dealing with social anxiety, spoken word processing issues, telephone issues and problems talking to people and remembering the correct responses or even problem solving on the spot. That doesn’t happen too often, thankfully, but it did last week.

I feel uncomfortable with this aspect of the job, but I’ve had long periods of unemployment and don’t want to risk losing this job, which in other ways is good (relatively high pay considering the hours and workload; a very understanding and laid-back boss). When I try to think of possible adjustments, autistic rigidity kicks in and I feel like there are no adjustments I can ask for that would be both reasonable and useful. I don't feel that asking not to use the phone is reasonable, given my contract. I actually don’t know what reasonable adjustments I would like, I just know that I feel a certain level of depression and anxiety in the workplace, not to mention feelings of inadequacy and overwhelm. I just feel I have to deal with it somehow or lose the job.

I would be grateful for any possible suggestions.

Parents
  • I'm going through a similar process with my manager at the moment.  I am lucky in that my manager and team are very supportive, I can work from home and have flexi time.  I attended something a few weeks ago where they had two slides with suggestions, many of which I found I already did e.g. colour coding my calendar, trying to block out time to focus on specific tasks, using bullet points to summarise meetings and actions.
    The things we are currently exploring/talking about are more for when I'm in the office as I kind of know how to deal with things from home.:

• Permanent desk when working in the office rather than hot desking.
    • What to do in the office if I'm overwhelmed e.g.
      • using a meeting room or finding somewhere quiet.
      • being able to take an extended break.
      • setting myself to do not disturb - maybe even having something on my desk.
      • using noise cancelling headphones.
    • How to more effectively delegate tasks.
    • What the trigger point should be for sick - I was off last year for the first time in 4 years with stress, then I got Covid, so it triggered a HR check which wasn't helpful.
    • Rejecting invitations to meetings the same day.

So, don't know if any of those ideas help?

Cheers,

Joe 

• Thanks, but they aren't really relevant to my situation. But thank you for replying!

• I came across this page recently which has some examples of reasonable adjustments in the workplace. Hopefully some might be relevant to your situation.

https://autismhampshire.org.uk/about-autism/making-workplaces-autism-friendly

Reasonable adjustments for individual autistic workers might include:

• paid time off when needed
    • fixed hours rather than variable shifts
    • reducing specific sensory stimuli in the workplace, e.g. locating that individual’s workstation in a quieter or less bright part of the office
    • change of work location, for example to be nearer home, or nearer support facilities, or to a work location which is quieter or less over-stimulating
    • extra breaks to enable relaxation
    • providing a mentor
    • individual support where schedules are unavoidably disrupted and when changes are introduced
    • adjustment to the way in which assessments are carried out
    • a clear routine and work schedule
    • a personal workstation (rather than sharing a workstation or ‘hot-desking’)
    • relaxation of triggers for disciplinary action for matters such as sickness absence or mistakes arising from executive function impairment
    • additional training time off for treatment/appointments, as part of a policy for disability leave
    • re-allocating some work to colleagues, with their agreement.
  • Thanks for this. Some of these I already have and most aren't really possible in my job/workplace, but I'm thinking of asking for extra breaks even if I have to work later. Thanks for sharing.

Reply Children
No Data