What does the forum mean to you?

I joined here around 5 months ago.

Since that time it's come to mean different things to me.

I think sharing experiences is invaluable but equally invaluable is the honesty I find here.

It's a place where we can talk about shared experience /our emotions/difficulties in a way that's impossible in the 'real' world - or at least if we speak about it there, it's unlikely to be understood.

It's a place to connect in a world where we often find connecting difficult.

I've received some PMs recently that have made me focus more on how very important this community can be to us as individuals.

Luna RIP called this her 'forum family'.

As a person who doesn't seek friendship (?or thinks she doesn't?), some surprising and valuable friendships have evolved from here for me.

How about you?

Parents
  • This is just somewhere I occasionally post on. I don't have the sense of belonging that the rest of you do. Maybe it's because I have both an ASD and schizophrenia/schizoaffective dx.

• Well, whether you like it or not, I think of you as part of this team.....perhaps the cool name, cool profile pic, or the fact that some of your posts have "spoken" loudly to this place in the past.  Nice to see you back again.

Kind regards

Number.

• Thank you for the kind words. I'm in that vast,middle, space occupied by those who don't regard ASD as a 'super power' /haven't achieved great things in life, but equally so  are not at the severe,need 24x 7 care and support, level. It's hard to feel that I fit in , given the number of very high functioning people who post here. 

• Thanks for this. I'm not sure how much is relevant to my situation, I'll need to look into it. I'll have another look at PIP.

• I’m not so such that PIP is based on income, though I may be wrong on that, it’s worth having because it checks a lot of boxes for other things.

If you have a dog, ESA is good for various reasons, like if you rent it can help you get your dog in with you, when paired with a medical recommendation.

It can be good to have a medical report or professional acknowledgement of your autism, as it can shut down a lot of reasonable adjustment resistance, straight off the bat..

Blue badge is good, because it gives the possibility to have accessibility, in certain situations and I believe it can help you get a disabled space installed in certain instances. Plus everyone knows what a blue badge is so it clears up a lot of confusion before it starts. And it grant discount on dial-a-ride or similar services..

Confessionary travel pass is good, because it removes the some of the stress and risk of bus travel, it’s another solid ice breaker..

Thats all I can thing of in this moment, you’ve got the lanyard, so that’s good.. but all of these considerations can give you confidence and faith in society, it makes you feel better 24/7 without having support 24/7, if that makes sense..Nerd

• I've been on benefits in the past, but am no longer eligible as I work part-time.

Don't really need a blue badge, although I have a hidden disabilities sunflower lanyard, mainly for use at the airport.

I'm not sure what passive resources you had in mind.

• Have you tried for PIP yet..?

If hands-off support is more your speed, then perhaps that and blue badge and passive resources etc, may be the best call..

• I just meant I need some support, but not constantly or with basic things. For example, my wife (self-diagnosed AuDHD) and I are currently looking for somewhere to live and if it wasn't for our parents lending us money and my parents lending time and advice, we'd be absolutely stuck.

• I was just trying to pick your mind and have you expand upon your meaning.. I was hoping you would make an understanding..Sweat smile

• I'm not sure I understand the question.

• I don't feel I fully fit in here either, but in my case it's due to being an Orthodox Jew. Some of us have an extra side to our lives beyond autism that makes it even harder to find people on our wavelength.

And I also don't see ASD as a super-power, nor need 24/7 support.

• Good idea ^^

I went for a walk today and have been in bed since. When I stand I feel really unsteady.

My 'busy motorway' is keeping my head occupied. Really annoying.

• I often feel distant from people though I am starting to feel a little less alone now in some ways. 

Masking isn't always obvious. Until today talking here I didn't realise that I actually mask pretty much all the time. I'm trying not to do this now.

I don't get any support in RL from the people in my life. I think it's just masking that allows me to function and get through life. I need to find healthier ways to cope.

• I'm not aware of ever having masked. WYSIWYG with me. I don't have that ability  to process things in real time, and adjust accordingly. That , and the fact that not many people here, or on wrong planet, talk about the support  they get in order to maintain a healthy,if somewhat basic, lifestyle- often makes feel  like a distant autistic  relative,rather  than a close autistic relative.

• I'm not aware of ever having masked. WYSIWYG with me. I don't have that ability  to process things in real time, and adjust accordingly. That , and the fact that not many people here, or on wrong planet, talk about the support  they get in order to maintain a healthy,if somewhat basic, lifestyle- often makes feel  like a distant autistic  relative,rather  than a close autistic relative.

Children
  • I often feel distant from people though I am starting to feel a little less alone now in some ways. 

Masking isn't always obvious. Until today talking here I didn't realise that I actually mask pretty much all the time. I'm trying not to do this now.

I don't get any support in RL from the people in my life. I think it's just masking that allows me to function and get through life. I need to find healthier ways to cope.