What does the forum mean to you?

I joined here around 5 months ago.

Since that time it's come to mean different things to me.

I think sharing experiences is invaluable but equally invaluable is the honesty I find here.

It's a place where we can talk about shared experience /our emotions/difficulties in a way that's impossible in the 'real' world - or at least if we speak about it there, it's unlikely to be understood.

It's a place to connect in a world where we often find connecting difficult.

I've received some PMs recently that have made me focus more on how very important this community can be to us as individuals.

Luna RIP called this her 'forum family'.

As a person who doesn't seek friendship (?or thinks she doesn't?), some surprising and valuable friendships have evolved from here for me.

How about you?

Parents
  • I had the epiphany of,” sh*t I think I’m autistic,” I Googled NAS and did the, “ looking for advice, I think I’m autistic.” I didn’t think much would come of it, if I’m honest I had the stereotypical view of autism, I’m not like them really, I don’t have special needs. That was Nov. 2021. How wrong I was, there are loads of people who are just like me. I found it so strange, I’m not the only person on the planet who functions like me. To be honest I’ve never had a place where I can ask any question I want to. I don’t think I would still be in this world without the friendship and understanding I have found in this group. I’m now an autistic person who can function to a degree. It turns out I was looking at special needs in the wrong way, I have needs that with the help of you good people, have been explained to me in so many different ways. I understand myself so much more now and with adjustments can be me. To know finally that I’m not mad or bad is everything.

• Your final sentence is the motherland of truth and happiness.

• Thank you, it’s hard to explain. I tried Facebook, if someone didn’t agree with my point of view,  they would come back with the fact that I had misspelled something. That really makes their point more valid? That wouldn’t happen here.

• I sometimes try to say to people don't judge me on the words I am using listen to the message I am trying to get across.

Reply Children
No Data