Stomach trouble

As an artist I also have many artist friends, many of whom I suspect would fit the diagnostic criteria for ASC.

The majority of those same people experience anxiety & stomach issues (IBS, IBD, etc).

So, this thread asks: Do any of you not get stomach issues every day/week?

...because I suspect this might be an interesting commonality between us all on the spectrum?

Could the difficulties we have to navigate day to day be interrupting our 'gut-brain-axis' and so be an easy to spot sign of an autistic person?

Sounds random now I write it, but I'm curious

Parents
  • Wow, thanks for the response everyone, I think this has confirmed my theory!!

So, let me share with you my progress in the hope that it helps somebody here.

I've had IBD since 2012, and spent over 10 years trying everything with the help of my partner who is a food expert in industry (I got lucky there).

I've tried FODMAP, Low Fibre, BRAPS, Keto, Paleo, Gluten Free, Vegan,.... I've tried it all based on the latest research available today, and it has led me to...

...the ZOE study (yes, same company who do the Covid study). It is run by Dr Tim Spectre (wrote the Diet Myth) etc. He ran the biggest study of identical twins ever, over 15,000, where he found that the same food reacted differently for two identical twins.

Drum roll, this is because of the profile of their microbiome in their intestines. It's different in each of us. So this means we react differently to foods based on this microbial environment.

Long story short, the programme has a waiting list, but is worth the wait. It's totally revolutionised my diet and my energy is through the roof.

This week I reintroduce gluten in the form of food quality bread. And I'm fine Raised hands

So, what the food industry doesn't want us to know is, it's the quality of food that is the major issue. The amount of ingredients in a loaf of GF bread for example, it's full of rubbish!!

Instead, buy a loaf of properly made bread and you'll likely be fine. Not many people are celiac, but everyone thinks they must be. Not true, it's just rubbish quality processed foods causing you issues.

Stress is a big issue, so not surprised by your responses. So focusing on developing coping mechanisms and changing your environment to lesson stress has really helped me.

Anyway, hear it is from the Dr himself, then join up to ZOE. I promise you, it's helped me more than anything else.

This is long, but full of wisdom:

https://youtu.be/66hWntvp0_4

This is for the ZOE programme:

https://joinzoe.com/

...I have no affiliation with ZOE, just like to help people Thumbsup

I still have IBD, but this has made me feel whole again

Hope it helps you to x

• It's super interesting what you say about the bread- My mum is adamant that the type of bread and quality really makes a huge difference and it's the same for me. I also tried gluten free bread and it never went well for me... and some bread give me instant acid reflux, others give me bloating and some types work well. I think with bread a big factor is also how long it was left to rise and whether it is yeast or sourdough and the type of  grains that were used etc. My mum also feels that for her bread is often more digestible when it is toasted... not sure if there is truth in this or what the scientific basis would be but it's interesting... 

• It's super interesting what you say about the bread- My mum is adamant that the type of bread and quality really makes a huge difference and it's the same for me. I also tried gluten free bread and it never went well for me... and some bread give me instant acid reflux, others give me bloating and some types work well. I think with bread a big factor is also how long it was left to rise and whether it is yeast or sourdough and the type of  grains that were used etc. My mum also feels that for her bread is often more digestible when it is toasted... not sure if there is truth in this or what the scientific basis would be but it's interesting... 

Children
No Data