Stomach trouble

As an artist I also have many artist friends, many of whom I suspect would fit the diagnostic criteria for ASC.

The majority of those same people experience anxiety & stomach issues (IBS, IBD, etc).

So, this thread asks: Do any of you not get stomach issues every day/week?

...because I suspect this might be an interesting commonality between us all on the spectrum?

Could the difficulties we have to navigate day to day be interrupting our 'gut-brain-axis' and so be an easy to spot sign of an autistic person?

Sounds random now I write it, but I'm curious

Parents Reply Children
  • Hi, yes I was on the low fodmap diet for quite a while... it did help a bit but I still had issues and in the end it was a bit too restrictive for me, but it can be useful to try maybe or even to just look at what fodmaps (if any) are present in foods you think you react to... the Monach university app is good: Low FODMAP Diet App | Monash FODMAP - Monash Fodmap

I also find that keeping a food diary can at times be helpful. I think for me I realised that it's always a combination of factors- the food itself but also the context (ie was I super stressed out when eating or in general etc). 

• Most of my safest foods are high fodmap. I've heard it can be helpful if you have constipation, which is the opposite problem to be. But I definitely got worse during the elimination phase and better after reintroducing fructans.