Travelling/holidays

Do you enjoy going abroad and/or travelling within your own country?

I've only been to a few countries in my life, all in Europe.

So, what makes you feel you need to have a 'holiday' in another place from home?

Some of my motivations:

1.  Because it's the 'done thing' so I think a part of it was to fit in with the 'crowd'.

2.  To experience other cultures and see some beauty in the world (that was Italy).

Against:

1.  I hate the journey.

2.  I worry about leaving my home untended.

3.  I feel deeply disorientated by hotel rooms etc.

4.  I feel deeply disorientated by being in 'strange' places.

5.  I feel deeply disorientated by the change in routine.

6.  I hate heat and don't swim so beach holidays are out.

7.  Financial restraints.

I think I get less stressed by travelling in the UK, with knowing I can get home quickly if required.

How about you?

Parents
  • As a child I used to pore over my atlases and globe, imagining what the countries would be like. I was obsessed with stamp collecting and would love finding all the obscure countries in the atlas. Travel became one of my special interests long before I could actually go to any of these places. My first holiday abroad didn't happen until I was an adult and able to afford it from my salary.

The pros

I love learning about and visiting places of scenic beauty, iconic sights and places of historical interest. There are so many wonders of the world and so little time I have to see them all. I also love exploring especially out in nature, seeing birds and other wildlife in their natural habitats. Whenever I go anywhere new I take so many photos. The memories of trips I have been on will hopefully stay with me for a long time.

My desire to visit all those places and countries has kept me going through the hardest times in life. My bucket list of places I still want to go gives me a reason to continue. Even cheap caravan breaks in the UK can boost my mental health enormously.

I've always felt that I've never fit in here, the sort of 'wrong planet syndrome' that so many autists experience. I think for me, at least subconsciously, travel has been a way to search for that elusive place where I do fit in. A hope that I cling to that there must be a better life somewhere on this planet. Sometimes I dream about selling everything and taking off to explore the world as a permanent nomad, maybe buying a camper van.

I find it slightly easier to communicate with people in other countries. The social expectations are different and it doesn't matter so much if I don't behave in the 'correct' way socially. Any miscommunication or misunderstandings can be simply attributed to cultural or language differences.

When I am on holiday and surrounded by strangers I feel that I can be more myself. Strangers do not expect anything from me and I can go into my 'ignore everyone' mode without fear of upsetting or offending anyone.

I love the freedom of being away from home and not contactable by email, phone or letter. No demands. There is nothing better than being in the middle of nowhere and feeling totally free. That sense of dread and hypervigilance I constantly have at home I seem to be able to leave behind when I go away.

The cons

It is not all positive by any means and there are so many challenges with travel. I experience huge amounts of anxiety and I research and plan everything meticulously in advance. However disruption and delays happen and when something does not go to plan I can go to pieces completely. For that reason I prefer the security of a package where possible. Just knowing that there is a rep, who can sort things and make alternative arrangements, is reassuring.

Noise and crowds can be a huge problem, especially in places like airports. I go armed with ear plugs and a book. I try to find a quiet unused departure lounge at the airport until my plane is ready to board. The flight itself is something to be endured, as I hate being crammed in with so many people.

I try to book accommodation in a quieter, less busy location and always request a quiet room in a hotel. However inevitably there can be difficulties achieving peace and quiet which can be stressful. The last time I went on a cruise I had to move cabins twice due to noise issues. The staff could not hear the vibration / noise I was complaining about, but thankfully they saw how distressed I was by it and helped me move to a different cabin.

The cost of solo travel can be prohibitively expensive now that my mum is no longer able to travel abroad with me. If I want my own room and need my own space that comes at a cost. I really can't ever see myself being comfortable in shared dorms in budget accommodation. Solo travel is also much more anxiety inducing.

I haven't been abroad since before the pandemic. I do miss it and with my current caring responsibilities I'm not sure when I will be able to resume travelling abroad again. I hope that travel is something I will be able to enjoy again one day.

• Thank you for this

It is very interesting and full of insight.

I've always felt that I've never fit in here, the sort of 'wrong planet syndrome' that so many autists experience. I think for me, at least subconsciously, travel has been a way to search for that elusive place where I do fit in.

I found that comment very thought provoking.

I hope that travel is something I will be able to enjoy again one day.

I hope so too as it clearly means a great deal to you.

• Thank you for this

It is very interesting and full of insight.

I've always felt that I've never fit in here, the sort of 'wrong planet syndrome' that so many autists experience. I think for me, at least subconsciously, travel has been a way to search for that elusive place where I do fit in.

I found that comment very thought provoking.

I hope that travel is something I will be able to enjoy again one day.

I hope so too as it clearly means a great deal to you.

Children
No Data