Travelling/holidays

Do you enjoy going abroad and/or travelling within your own country?

I've only been to a few countries in my life, all in Europe.

So, what makes you feel you need to have a 'holiday' in another place from home?

Some of my motivations:

1.  Because it's the 'done thing' so I think a part of it was to fit in with the 'crowd'.

2.  To experience other cultures and see some beauty in the world (that was Italy).

Against:

1.  I hate the journey.

2.  I worry about leaving my home untended.

3.  I feel deeply disorientated by hotel rooms etc.

4.  I feel deeply disorientated by being in 'strange' places.

5.  I feel deeply disorientated by the change in routine.

6.  I hate heat and don't swim so beach holidays are out.

7.  Financial restraints.

I think I get less stressed by travelling in the UK, with knowing I can get home quickly if required.

How about you?

Parents
  • I think I get less stressed by travelling in the UK, with knowing I can get home quickly if required.

It can take much longer to get about in the UK than when overseas - I remember visiting family in Scotland when getting a call that our house had been broken into - it took over 12 hours to drive back to Milton Keynes because of traffic when it takes less time to fly from where I live now in Brazil.

I approached travelling with a confrontational approach when I was younger, challenging myself to face my fears and prove they had no hold over me, so my first overseas holiday at 20 was to Singapore, Malaysia and Hong Kong back in the 1990s. Some beach holiday time in Malaysia, exotic but safe city break in Singapore then the madness of old Hong Kong (pre China take over) where there was almost no English spoken.

I survived and conquered my fears and since then worked for banks that sent me all around Europe and South/North America, used the cheap flights in the 2000s to travel all round Europe for peanuts and later visited other far flung places like Bali (6 trips there as we found a factory to make leather goods for my wifes fashion design business), Japan (5 trips as we love the place) and many more places in Brazil.

Later in the year we are planning another trip to Japan then on to Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Thailand, all to go off the beaten track. That should be quite a challange.

I guess the tackling my fears and anxiety head on is paying off.

• I think I get less stressed by travelling in the UK, with knowing I can get home quickly if required.

It can take much longer to get about in the UK than when overseas - I remember visiting family in Scotland when getting a call that our house had been broken into - it took over 12 hours to drive back to Milton Keynes because of traffic when it takes less time to fly from where I live now in Brazil.

I approached travelling with a confrontational approach when I was younger, challenging myself to face my fears and prove they had no hold over me, so my first overseas holiday at 20 was to Singapore, Malaysia and Hong Kong back in the 1990s. Some beach holiday time in Malaysia, exotic but safe city break in Singapore then the madness of old Hong Kong (pre China take over) where there was almost no English spoken.

I survived and conquered my fears and since then worked for banks that sent me all around Europe and South/North America, used the cheap flights in the 2000s to travel all round Europe for peanuts and later visited other far flung places like Bali (6 trips there as we found a factory to make leather goods for my wifes fashion design business), Japan (5 trips as we love the place) and many more places in Brazil.

Later in the year we are planning another trip to Japan then on to Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Thailand, all to go off the beaten track. That should be quite a challange.

I guess the tackling my fears and anxiety head on is paying off.

Children
No Data