Travelling/holidays

Do you enjoy going abroad and/or travelling within your own country?

I've only been to a few countries in my life, all in Europe.

So, what makes you feel you need to have a 'holiday' in another place from home?

Some of my motivations:

1.  Because it's the 'done thing' so I think a part of it was to fit in with the 'crowd'.

2.  To experience other cultures and see some beauty in the world (that was Italy).

Against:

1.  I hate the journey.

2.  I worry about leaving my home untended.

3.  I feel deeply disorientated by hotel rooms etc.

4.  I feel deeply disorientated by being in 'strange' places.

5.  I feel deeply disorientated by the change in routine.

6.  I hate heat and don't swim so beach holidays are out.

7.  Financial restraints.

I think I get less stressed by travelling in the UK, with knowing I can get home quickly if required.

How about you?

Parents
  • Getting some of this albeit I have travelled and loved it.  I did a MFL degree so lived abroad for a couple of years.

I'd say, forget the stuff about the 'done thing', but if you genuinely feel you'd love to see a place, go!

The journey itself does always make me feel anxious - I have to turn up way ahead of schedule for boats, planes and trains and I hate them if they are crowded, and I do worry about leaving the house empty, but generally it's been worth pushing through.

Odd thing though, I have NEVER been to a country where I did not speak the language well enough to at least order a meal, ascertain train times, greet the receptionist and find the loo.  I think not speaking the language would put me off a great deal.  

Other odd thing, I've often gone on holiday alone.  Nice to have company, but I don't want to follow the crowd much.  I'm happy exploring on my own.  The nice thing about communicating in another language is that any little faux pas are just dismissed as the nice English lady trying, at least.  No one notices the autism, lol.

I love Italy, though and want to go back soon.  The Lake Como area is an ancestral homeland and I taught myself Italian in order to be able to go and research my tree :-)

Considering Ireland this year - more family history calls.

• Getting some of this albeit I have travelled and loved it.  I did a MFL degree so lived abroad for a couple of years.

I'd say, forget the stuff about the 'done thing', but if you genuinely feel you'd love to see a place, go!

The journey itself does always make me feel anxious - I have to turn up way ahead of schedule for boats, planes and trains and I hate them if they are crowded, and I do worry about leaving the house empty, but generally it's been worth pushing through.

Odd thing though, I have NEVER been to a country where I did not speak the language well enough to at least order a meal, ascertain train times, greet the receptionist and find the loo.  I think not speaking the language would put me off a great deal.  

Other odd thing, I've often gone on holiday alone.  Nice to have company, but I don't want to follow the crowd much.  I'm happy exploring on my own.  The nice thing about communicating in another language is that any little faux pas are just dismissed as the nice English lady trying, at least.  No one notices the autism, lol.

I love Italy, though and want to go back soon.  The Lake Como area is an ancestral homeland and I taught myself Italian in order to be able to go and research my tree :-)

Considering Ireland this year - more family history calls.

Children
No Data