Travelling/holidays

Do you enjoy going abroad and/or travelling within your own country?

I've only been to a few countries in my life, all in Europe.

So, what makes you feel you need to have a 'holiday' in another place from home?

Some of my motivations:

1.  Because it's the 'done thing' so I think a part of it was to fit in with the 'crowd'.

2.  To experience other cultures and see some beauty in the world (that was Italy).

Against:

1.  I hate the journey.

2.  I worry about leaving my home untended.

3.  I feel deeply disorientated by hotel rooms etc.

4.  I feel deeply disorientated by being in 'strange' places.

5.  I feel deeply disorientated by the change in routine.

6.  I hate heat and don't swim so beach holidays are out.

7.  Financial restraints.

I think I get less stressed by travelling in the UK, with knowing I can get home quickly if required.

How about you?

Parents
  • I lived and worked in 3 countries, Poland, Slovakia, and UK, and I can tell it's easier to get by without people noticing you're autistic everywhere except home country. I've been on holiday in Italy 3 times and I loved it.

I would like to travel more, but life commitments don't let me, one have to work to pay bills, and amount of holiday days is limited.

I would like to visit Greece and Turkey to see ancient ruins, like those in Italy. Magnificent.

I would like to go on foot from north to south of Africa, one day I will maybe they will take me in in some forgotten village to teach english and math, it would be nice retirement. They wouldn't know about autism there most likely.

I avoid people as much as possible. though there are moments when it's not possible, e.g. checking in a hotel. And cheap hotels are worn out and often dirty, smelly, dusty, and full of grumpy staff, I don't dare to complain in person to one of those.

But you can go through the airport flying abroad without having a single exchange of words or eye contact !!! Just don't forget a book to read, or something that will keep you focused on throught waiting in lounge and flying, plus headphones, or earplugs to disconnect the noise.

If I could arrange everything and pay for everything online and go somewhere and spent 2 weeks without saying a word it would be my dream holiday.

• Where did you go in Italy?

I went to Rome.

Loved the Vatican and Colosseum and Forum.

Second holiday was Sorrento.

Had a coach and boat tour of Amalfi coast.

Also Capri, Vesuvius and Pompeii.

• Italy is certainly on my bucket list (not flying) and aside from the culture and the food (which I love) I’d love to go to Rome (Vatican) but also other religious sites in Italy, such as Saint Francis (Assisi - San Damino) Saint Anthony (Padua) Saint Rita (Cascia) and to explore the Italian countryside, including Umbria - getting the train from Manchester to London, Eurostar to Paris, high speed rail to Italy (Milan) and by rail through Italy 

• Italy is certainly on my bucket list (not flying) and aside from the culture and the food (which I love) I’d love to go to Rome (Vatican) but also other religious sites in Italy, such as Saint Francis (Assisi - San Damino) Saint Anthony (Padua) Saint Rita (Cascia) and to explore the Italian countryside, including Umbria - getting the train from Manchester to London, Eurostar to Paris, high speed rail to Italy (Milan) and by rail through Italy 

Children
No Data