Travelling/holidays

Do you enjoy going abroad and/or travelling within your own country?

I've only been to a few countries in my life, all in Europe.

So, what makes you feel you need to have a 'holiday' in another place from home?

Some of my motivations:

1.  Because it's the 'done thing' so I think a part of it was to fit in with the 'crowd'.

2.  To experience other cultures and see some beauty in the world (that was Italy).

Against:

1.  I hate the journey.

2.  I worry about leaving my home untended.

3.  I feel deeply disorientated by hotel rooms etc.

4.  I feel deeply disorientated by being in 'strange' places.

5.  I feel deeply disorientated by the change in routine.

6.  I hate heat and don't swim so beach holidays are out.

7.  Financial restraints.

I think I get less stressed by travelling in the UK, with knowing I can get home quickly if required.

How about you?

Parents
  • I love holidays but hate the travel part because of the anxiety. Once I am there I love holidays because u can be me. Am not adventurous always go to places where they are likely to speak English. I am not a typical brit abroad I do try local food and drink. I do like going back to resorts.  I plan massively about where we will go and where things are. Not a fan of UK holidays as I like the sun and palm trees, US is my favorite. The UK just feels like everyday life, just too boring for me.

• Since Covid, everything has utterly changed - in the 20 years before Covid, I was never one for big cities as I got older (this was a very gradual process) living in Manchester (and in my youth, craving to live in Dublin) I now prefer rural life, having grown up in Rural Ireland - I’d stopped flying in 2010 because of the hassles of airport security and especially of getting out of Dublin Airport that takes at least an hour, even outside of rush hour and via Dublin City Centre - this is why I love both overnight coach and sail and daytime/overnight SailRail both summer and winter, as you get to see the beautiful Rural Wales scenery and the wonderful Welsh people on the way to/from Holyhead - once on the ferry for the 3 hours 15 mins to Dublin in the middle of the Irish Sea, especially on a calm moonlight night, you get to see the timeless and romantic beauty, just as much as the wild and unpredictable nature of a rough crossing (that I’ve done loads of times) and reaching Dublin can be something of an anti-climax even though you are coming home, yet despite living here in the U.K. as long as I have, Ireland will always be my real home 

• Since Covid, everything has utterly changed - in the 20 years before Covid, I was never one for big cities as I got older (this was a very gradual process) living in Manchester (and in my youth, craving to live in Dublin) I now prefer rural life, having grown up in Rural Ireland - I’d stopped flying in 2010 because of the hassles of airport security and especially of getting out of Dublin Airport that takes at least an hour, even outside of rush hour and via Dublin City Centre - this is why I love both overnight coach and sail and daytime/overnight SailRail both summer and winter, as you get to see the beautiful Rural Wales scenery and the wonderful Welsh people on the way to/from Holyhead - once on the ferry for the 3 hours 15 mins to Dublin in the middle of the Irish Sea, especially on a calm moonlight night, you get to see the timeless and romantic beauty, just as much as the wild and unpredictable nature of a rough crossing (that I’ve done loads of times) and reaching Dublin can be something of an anti-climax even though you are coming home, yet despite living here in the U.K. as long as I have, Ireland will always be my real home 

Children
No Data