Better for you now or in the past?

I've borrowed this question from something intimated in another thread.

Do you think life has improved for you as you have grown older?

Is it because society has changed or you/your life have changed or a combination?

There was a comparison in another thread with 1980.

I realise some of the readers here won't even have been born then!

I could write a long list of ways in which my life has improved since 1980, both on a personal level and on a 'society' level.

Where 'society' is concerned, the invention of the internet has made me much less isolated, much more knowledgeable, much more in control of my health and not at the mercy of the NHS.

I wouldn't know about my autism and many other things without it.

Also, mobile phones/texting and email mean that I no longer have to make phone calls (including from phone boxes!).

I could go on but I might even bore myself.

There is really very little I miss about 1980, except perhaps a quieter pace of life in general.

It's an interesting question and we all have a past, no matter how far back it goes.

How is it for you.

Better or worse?

Parents
  • If it wasn't for internet dating I would still be a virgin!

This is a good example of where the internet can enrich our lives.

In 1994 at the age of 32 I saw my GP because I was still a virgin.

He wasn't interested + gave me the address of a mental health charity to write to.

In desperation I called into a sexual health clinic (very upset) and they referred me to NHS psycho-sexual counselling.

This service was in the same city as my GP so why didn't he refer me?

With many months of help from a lovely psychologist I overcame my problem, which has a name.

With the internet I could have found out all this on my own without being hindered by a useless GP.

These are the situations that change the course of a life.

• You see I've thought about psycho-sexual counselling but at the end of the day I think there is a real risk it might boil down to women, at least the women I'm attracted to, just don't find me attractive. And really there's no counselling to help with that.

Actually in the olden days when the internet had fewer photos I had some luck making connections with women online. But in quite a few cases everything fizzled out once they saw what I looked like in real life. I even ran an experiment where I signed up two profiles to a dating site. One with my photo and one with the photo of an obscure z list catalog model. Needless to say the one with the model's photo was much more successful. It was kind of heartbreaking when I ended the experiment. The women all accused me of deceiving them, which I did, and I accused them of being shallow, which they were. But it confirmed what many suspect but few get to test, it was my face that was the problem.

• You see I've thought about psycho-sexual counselling but at the end of the day I think there is a real risk it might boil down to women, at least the women I'm attracted to, just don't find me attractive. And really there's no counselling to help with that.

Actually in the olden days when the internet had fewer photos I had some luck making connections with women online. But in quite a few cases everything fizzled out once they saw what I looked like in real life. I even ran an experiment where I signed up two profiles to a dating site. One with my photo and one with the photo of an obscure z list catalog model. Needless to say the one with the model's photo was much more successful. It was kind of heartbreaking when I ended the experiment. The women all accused me of deceiving them, which I did, and I accused them of being shallow, which they were. But it confirmed what many suspect but few get to test, it was my face that was the problem.

Children
No Data