Better for you now or in the past?

I've borrowed this question from something intimated in another thread.

Do you think life has improved for you as you have grown older?

Is it because society has changed or you/your life have changed or a combination?

There was a comparison in another thread with 1980.

I realise some of the readers here won't even have been born then!

I could write a long list of ways in which my life has improved since 1980, both on a personal level and on a 'society' level.

Where 'society' is concerned, the invention of the internet has made me much less isolated, much more knowledgeable, much more in control of my health and not at the mercy of the NHS.

I wouldn't know about my autism and many other things without it.

Also, mobile phones/texting and email mean that I no longer have to make phone calls (including from phone boxes!).

I could go on but I might even bore myself.

There is really very little I miss about 1980, except perhaps a quieter pace of life in general.

It's an interesting question and we all have a past, no matter how far back it goes.

How is it for you.

Better or worse?

Parents
  • The whole notion of celebrity and engaging with that,  i find baffling.

Yes.  I also find baffling that some young women seem to be happy to have returned to an archaic state of womanhood ie only interested in fitting into an ostensibly male ideal of what a woman should look and act like and only really concerned with their appearance.

Whether they are happy to be like this, or are just feeling pressurised by society to be 'perfect' I don't know.

I should think nowadays that a huge amount is spent on the beauty industry.

I think the main one is that we're are losing touch with our natural world in such a big way...this has been the case for a very long time though.

Yes.  This is heartbreaking.

• I also find baffling that some young women seem to be happy to have returned to an archaic state of womanhood ie only interested in fitting into an ostensibly male ideal of what a woman should look and act like and only really concerned with their appearance.

To add to what you have said, I have a real issue with the desire some females have to look like they have been mass-produced in a plastics factory. I find it so sad that there are so many young females who think that in order to be considered physically attractive and desirable, they've got to get their lips injected with lip fillers, etc. I've heard and read that a good many males consider it repulsive.

There's the selfie obsession that I also don't get, particularly when it involves posing with a lip-filled 'trout pout'. Rarely do I consider such photos to look in any way seductive. Personally, I'd much rather look at a photo of someone smiling... BUT... each to their own.

• I'm afraid that mouths that have had injections of lip filler remind me too vividly of the nether regions of female chimpanzees in oestrus (aptly called 'Pink Ladies' by Jane Goodall). Attractive to male chimps, no doubt, but not to me.

• My son told me that there is a specific reason why so many young women are having lip fillers. However, I daren't elaborate as it could be deemed too graphic. Let's just say that what it reminds you of isn't a million miles away from what it's supposedly meant to make men think of.

• My son told me that there is a specific reason why so many young women are having lip fillers. However, I daren't elaborate as it could be deemed too graphic. Let's just say that what it reminds you of isn't a million miles away from what it's supposedly meant to make men think of.

Children
No Data