Better for you now or in the past?

I've borrowed this question from something intimated in another thread.

Do you think life has improved for you as you have grown older?

Is it because society has changed or you/your life have changed or a combination?

There was a comparison in another thread with 1980.

I realise some of the readers here won't even have been born then!

I could write a long list of ways in which my life has improved since 1980, both on a personal level and on a 'society' level.

Where 'society' is concerned, the invention of the internet has made me much less isolated, much more knowledgeable, much more in control of my health and not at the mercy of the NHS.

I wouldn't know about my autism and many other things without it.

Also, mobile phones/texting and email mean that I no longer have to make phone calls (including from phone boxes!).

I could go on but I might even bore myself.

There is really very little I miss about 1980, except perhaps a quieter pace of life in general.

It's an interesting question and we all have a past, no matter how far back it goes.

How is it for you.

Better or worse?

Parents
  • I agree with the statements of life being less complicated as far as technology. I can see the damage that social media is having on the young. The highlight of my week would have been’Top of the pops’, Trying to fit in, especially in my teen years were really hard. Everyone else seemed to have known the rules. I would go to parties in my late teens but would be the one standing in the kitchen, trying not to get in the way, that seemed impossible. I realised in the end that I was only included because I had a car. How do girls know that autistic boys are different, I tried so hard to be like the other boys, but they just thought I was weird.

I would watch tv in the seventies, it seemed to portray London as just being Carnaby Street with everyone dressed in the latest fashion. Obviously reality was a lot different. My children think because my teen years were in the 80’s that we all walked around dressed as ‘Young romantics’.or Adam Ant. I often think of The Shawshank Redemption when ‘Red’ is telling the probation board as an old man how he wishes he could go back and talk to the young boy he once was. That’s exactly how I feel, I would have so much to explain to him. I still morn that lost child. Sorry I’m feeling very low at the moment and not really enjoying life.

• I agree with the statements of life being less complicated as far as technology. I can see the damage that social media is having on the young. The highlight of my week would have been’Top of the pops’, Trying to fit in, especially in my teen years were really hard. Everyone else seemed to have known the rules. I would go to parties in my late teens but would be the one standing in the kitchen, trying not to get in the way, that seemed impossible. I realised in the end that I was only included because I had a car. How do girls know that autistic boys are different, I tried so hard to be like the other boys, but they just thought I was weird.

I would watch tv in the seventies, it seemed to portray London as just being Carnaby Street with everyone dressed in the latest fashion. Obviously reality was a lot different. My children think because my teen years were in the 80’s that we all walked around dressed as ‘Young romantics’.or Adam Ant. I often think of The Shawshank Redemption when ‘Red’ is telling the probation board as an old man how he wishes he could go back and talk to the young boy he once was. That’s exactly how I feel, I would have so much to explain to him. I still morn that lost child. Sorry I’m feeling very low at the moment and not really enjoying life.

Children