Finally plucked up the courage

Today, after a few wobbly days at work, I have asked for a meeting with my management team to discuss the reasonable adjustments that can be made to better accommodate my needs in the workplace.

For the past 11 years in my role, I have put my needs second and, at times, I have genuinely struggled to get through it.

This was a huge step for me, but being part of this community has helped me to see the importance of advocating for myself.

2 years ago, when I received my diagnosis, I was quick to brush aside the idea of adjustments. After all, I’d survived up until that point. But I’ve since learned that that approach simply wasn’t good enough, especially considering the amount of meltdowns I was experiencing at the end of a day.

I got quite upset and tearful in the discussion when asking for the meeting, as I think it was in recognition of the 11 years of work up to this point where I have just been coping rather than thriving. But I did it. It took a lot of courage for me, as historically I’ve not been good at asking for help. But I managed it.

The date is pencilled in, and now I get to have a good think in preparation for this meeting. My aim is to now think of my context, the adjustments that can reasonably be in this role and what I’m actually asking for.

I don’t really know why I’m posting this, but it feels good to write it down. I’m sure many of you can relate to that feeling here.

Parents
  • Well, what a rollercoaster these past two weeks have been since originally posting this. I had said I’d give an update, so, here I go.

I must admit, I’m very tired now, so perhaps I’ll keep it fairly to the point. It’s been quite a draining experience with lots of change. But the overwhelming sensation is one of positivity.

I have had two in depth meetings with management now. I feel like I have been listened to and like I have managed to highlight and illustrate some of my different experiences, to the rest of my colleagues, of life in the workplace. I have managed to demonstrate some of the ways I do well, but also some of the difficulties I face on a daily basis that act as a barrier to accessing my job role as effectively as I can.

In response to this, management have begun to roll out a series of adaptations based on my requests. I feel like these have been tailored to me, rather than just being generic responses, and I am hopeful that they will help and continue to be applied. Some of the adjustments include a private and quiet space to reduce sensory input when needed, advance notice of upcoming tasks and changes and a range of hearing protection for the various situations I find myself in each working day. There are more, but these examples are to illustrate the sorts of things that have been/are being sorted.

It’s still early days yet, so more meetings may be required, but I’m feeling more confident to arrange one if it is needed. 

I was very open and honest. I gained confidence as the meetings went on and found myself asking for things I would usually skip over out of fear of putting someone else out. I think I’m feeling quite proud of myself for seeing this through. I knew it was the right thing to do and I didn’t talk myself out of it (although I tried a fair few times). I have surprised myself actually.

• Well done! That's an amazing accomplishment and a lot to go through and do. No wonder you're tired! Have a break now. Rest. Put your feet up and give yourself a pat on the back.  The strength is in all of us but it's not always easy to locate and use. But once found it takes us to great heights. Happy for you.

• Thank you very much. Nice words about inner strength too- something to contemplate. But you’re right. I think it’s time to hibernate for a while!

Reply Children
  • That's what I'm doing for almost a year now. Beware of hidden danger of running out of motivation to do anything. I've just had 3 weeks when I couldn't make myself do anything except sleeping more than I should and going to work.

• Hibernating sounds like a good plan. I might go do the same feel like I need a good long rest right about now. Keep going you're doing great. Just remember to manage self care as well so you don't burn out.