Is the rise of autism diagnostics a sign our society is getting unsane?

Sorry to ask but the more I read all of you, the more I wonder. I take part in this forum because I am the mum of an autistic boy who has sever language delay, stimming, meltdowns, shuttdowns etc.. however I am an astrophysicist and in my career I have worked with many people with small quirks and we were all working together in this very open minded rational atmosphere without anyone refering to an autistic label. Sure my office mate was always making the same joke and switching the lights in the same order and unplugging his things I'd be there or not but I never made a fuss about it.. I just reminded him I was still there and he would very kindly switch on the light again for me. Just to say, has society become so normative that no more quirks are allowed because all sensitive rational people (most scientists are by nature) have, as far as I have seen (nearly 50 years old, lived in 5 countries and met loads of scientists, engineers and the like. Is society excluding this way of thinking more and more? Or is there more that I do not get? What is the border between autism and hypersensitive rational (which tend to go hand in hand)?

Parents
  • Do you consider our society sane? And more people being diagnosed contributing to it becoming less sane?

• I do consider unsane a society that cannot accomodate all its members and discriminates people who are very sensitive and rational.  

• I am finding your views hard to grasp.

Are you actually saying that society 'discriminates people who are sensitive and rational' by diagnosing them autistic?

Does diagnosis =  discrimination in your opinion?

Does a society that gives a diagnosis to a health condition = an 'unsane society' in your view?

• Annie, I'm guessing that English isn't your native language and I'm afraid that some of the errors in your writing has caused a wee bit of confusion - and consternation to some extent.  I only mention this in case you are wondering "what the hell have I said to cause such a flurry of responses." Do you have a number of languages at your disposal?

• This is how this site describes it.

'Autism is a lifelong developmental disability which affects how people communicate and interact with the world'.

It is variously described as a 'condition', a 'disability' and a 'disorder'.

It is of course a spectrum which is why you see such variance within it.

• I did not so far considered autism as a health condition but I am learning for you and that was the purpose of my question. Thank you for helpng me understand it.

Reply Children
  • Annie, I'm guessing that English isn't your native language and I'm afraid that some of the errors in your writing has caused a wee bit of confusion - and consternation to some extent.  I only mention this in case you are wondering "what the hell have I said to cause such a flurry of responses." Do you have a number of languages at your disposal?

• This is how this site describes it.

'Autism is a lifelong developmental disability which affects how people communicate and interact with the world'.

It is variously described as a 'condition', a 'disability' and a 'disorder'.

It is of course a spectrum which is why you see such variance within it.