Teachers

I saw something today, which prompted me to ask this question: Did any teachers single you out, or treat you badly at school? I was in school from the 1970’s, and things were different back then.

I recall being singled out at age 6, and forced to stand on the table during the lesson as an example of a stupid child. I was often ridiculed, and she said things like it’s typical for me to be stupid because  ‘people like you’ are. (Because of my skin colour).

At 11 I was constantly picked on by my maths teacher. She would ask me questions when she knew I wouldn’t know the answer. She picked me despite others putting their hand up to answer. She tried to make me recite my times tables or give her answers to some when she called them out. She told me that I should be able to answer them, as all children my age can, and what was it that was wrong with me that I wasn’t able to learn them. And other things when I didn’t get all questions answered in the time frame, or got poor marks in a test. 
I wasn’t ever ‘stupid’. My auditory processing is slow, and I can’t work under pressure if I’m also anxious.

Parents
  • This "Dear Teacher" letter was posted on Asperger Syndrome Awareness on Facebook and sums up what so many of us as adults, now wish we could have found similar words to say or write to our teachers.

Dear Teacher,

You wrote my mother and father a really formal letter today and they became stressed which made me very sad. I wanted to cry but I struggle expressing my emotions. I got angry instead and pushed mother which made me shout and scream. Daddy, I mean Father, took me to my bedroom for a timeout. I said “Father” because I copy those around me and I wanted to imitate your style of writing. Miss Teacher, I have autism and I want you to understand me because I don't want to be called “bad.”

I am not a bad child when I talk over you in class. I do not mean to, I just didn't process what you were saying to me.
    When I shout at you I instantly regret it. The lightbulb in the classroom keeps flickering and it is causing me great discomfort.  It hurts me. I become anxious and can't find the right words to tell you what is bothering me.

When you give me several verbal instructions at the same time I become confused, anxious, and then I forget what you asked me to do. I did not do this on purpose. I have a great long term memory but a terrible short term memory.
    I communicate better when information is written down and I become anxious when you ask me to stand up to talk in front of the entire class.

My mother and father cry when you send them a letter to say I'm badly behaved. They blame themselves but I can't comfort them — the words just do not come. This makes me upset. Living with autism is not easy. It's really difficult.
    But I believe we can do anything when we put our mind to it. All we need are people that are willing to understand us. I need you to understand me.

So, Miss Teacher, I want us to work together and I want us to understand each other. A famous quote I like is, “If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its entire life believing it's stupid.” I don't learn things in the same way as everyone else. I don't expect you to become an autism expert but I want you to understand me enough not to call me “badly behaved” — it hurts me more than you know.

Thank you teacher for reading.

From, every single child on the spectrum

Being so close to the borderline, my parents did not disclose my condition to my schools. The professional who diagnosed me at age 4 gave them difficult advice, with me being so borderline, disclosing it could mean being labelled "incapable", but not doing could mean being labelled "difficult" and a "less tolerant" environment (i.e. more telling off), and they went with the latter.  Some teachers were of the nature of just telling off harshly for the most minor infraction, and I don't know if disclosure would have made much difference to them, especially if they were ex-military as per Roy's quote

Physical violence was quite normal with some of the older male teachers as they had been in the war and discipline is all boys understand.

but where credit is due I had some good teachers who had more holistic attitudes, saw my positives and I got on well with them, though would still describe my school life as unhappy overall.

• This "Dear Teacher" letter was posted on Asperger Syndrome Awareness on Facebook and sums up what so many of us as adults, now wish we could have found similar words to say or write to our teachers.

Dear Teacher,

You wrote my mother and father a really formal letter today and they became stressed which made me very sad. I wanted to cry but I struggle expressing my emotions. I got angry instead and pushed mother which made me shout and scream. Daddy, I mean Father, took me to my bedroom for a timeout. I said “Father” because I copy those around me and I wanted to imitate your style of writing. Miss Teacher, I have autism and I want you to understand me because I don't want to be called “bad.”

I am not a bad child when I talk over you in class. I do not mean to, I just didn't process what you were saying to me.
    When I shout at you I instantly regret it. The lightbulb in the classroom keeps flickering and it is causing me great discomfort.  It hurts me. I become anxious and can't find the right words to tell you what is bothering me.

When you give me several verbal instructions at the same time I become confused, anxious, and then I forget what you asked me to do. I did not do this on purpose. I have a great long term memory but a terrible short term memory.
    I communicate better when information is written down and I become anxious when you ask me to stand up to talk in front of the entire class.

My mother and father cry when you send them a letter to say I'm badly behaved. They blame themselves but I can't comfort them — the words just do not come. This makes me upset. Living with autism is not easy. It's really difficult.
    But I believe we can do anything when we put our mind to it. All we need are people that are willing to understand us. I need you to understand me.

So, Miss Teacher, I want us to work together and I want us to understand each other. A famous quote I like is, “If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its entire life believing it's stupid.” I don't learn things in the same way as everyone else. I don't expect you to become an autism expert but I want you to understand me enough not to call me “badly behaved” — it hurts me more than you know.

Thank you teacher for reading.

From, every single child on the spectrum

Being so close to the borderline, my parents did not disclose my condition to my schools. The professional who diagnosed me at age 4 gave them difficult advice, with me being so borderline, disclosing it could mean being labelled "incapable", but not doing could mean being labelled "difficult" and a "less tolerant" environment (i.e. more telling off), and they went with the latter.  Some teachers were of the nature of just telling off harshly for the most minor infraction, and I don't know if disclosure would have made much difference to them, especially if they were ex-military as per Roy's quote

Physical violence was quite normal with some of the older male teachers as they had been in the war and discipline is all boys understand.

but where credit is due I had some good teachers who had more holistic attitudes, saw my positives and I got on well with them, though would still describe my school life as unhappy overall.

Children
No Data