Benefits + support for Autistic Spectrum Disorder

Hi. I have only been looking at what is available in England but really, if you are able to function in the home and have worked in the past, I think that the financial support ie benefits + any other type of support = 0

I've read again and again on these forums about the lack of any support for people who are 'functional'.

I gave up work because of stress but I am lucky because my circumstances changed to allow me to.

However, many autistic adults still have to try to function in a working environment no matter how stressful.

It really is the 'hidden disability'.

Does anyone know anything different?

Thanks

Parents
  • Yes it is a hidden disability and the system is not designed to cater for hidden disabilities. There are so many examples, on these forums and elsewhere, of autistic people being awarded 0 points.

The whole process needs a total reform so that it meets the needs of those with hidden disabilities. Having to be assessed by phone or face to face can be so distressing and overwhelming for autistic people. I would fall at that first hurdle of having to telephone to apply. When asked a question autistic people can misunderstand, need extra time to process and be likely to give one word answers in a desperate attempt to escape the overwhelming assessment environment. None of this is taken into account and the people doing the assessments do not seem to have sufficient knowledge of autism and how it presents.

There's an interesting article here https://eachother.org.uk/personal-independence-payment-is-vital-but-the-system-is-deeply-flawed/

A current research project looking at the issue https://www.autistica.org.uk/our-research/research-projects/disability-benefit-assessments-for-autistic-adults

A glimmer of hope that autistic people may not have to be continually reassessed in the future https://questions-statements.parliament.uk/written-questions/detail/2022-05-26/10043/

Personally I have been well and truly put off applying, due to the overwhelming distress and anxiety the assessment process would likely cause me. Also my perceived low likelihood of success and not being able to face another rejection. I convinced myself that I would be able to eke out my savings, by living frugally until the first of my workplace pensions starts in a few years. However now with the current cost of living crisis I'm not sure if I can still do that.

• Its not really about it not catering to hidden disabilities though, its quite possible to have severe and visible physical disabilities and still be rejected for PiP as the 'assessors' don't want to grant it and force the majority of people to apply for mandatory reconsideration and then appeal. They save money by lots of people giving up some way along the process. 

• Its not really about it not catering to hidden disabilities though, its quite possible to have severe and visible physical disabilities and still be rejected for PiP as the 'assessors' don't want to grant it and force the majority of people to apply for mandatory reconsideration and then appeal. They save money by lots of people giving up some way along the process. 

Children
No Data