How do you cope with exhaustion?

I'm into my older years now so suffer from tiredness anyway but I find myself exhausted more often and I'm sure it is the autism. I'm interested to hear how you cope with this? I found it stops me doing the things I want to do and I end up sleeping more. It's frustrating because I really want to do things but I can't because of the exhaustion.

Parents
  • Check with a GP your levels are ok such as b12, iron etc. I don't know your age or if you are female but I think menopause can contribute to exhaustion. Have you had any viruses such as covid? That could make you fatigued as well. These things which can make anyone exhausted, I think if you are already prone to it, can really exacerbate it.

I've realised since my diagnosis last year that fatigue is a fact of life. Try energy accounting or keep a diary of activity. Rest before your battery gets empty. Don't boom or bust. Be kind to yourself. Resting isn't wasting time, it's giving your body chance to recover. Its hard when often we can't read our own bodies or needs because of alexithymia or poor interoception.  I've learned the hard way as covid tipped me over the edge but i think i was burning out al ready way before that. But it has made me stop and assess things. It is hard though to find a balance but you need to find a level which is sustainable. If that means reducing what you used to do, for now, that's what you need. Prioritise stuff. Then once you start to feel better you can slowly build it up from there. Once you accept fatigue is part of your life and you cant do everything you used to be able to, you can learn to adjust. I find yoga and meditation helps too.

• Check with a GP your levels are ok such as b12, iron etc. I don't know your age or if you are female but I think menopause can contribute to exhaustion. Have you had any viruses such as covid? That could make you fatigued as well. These things which can make anyone exhausted, I think if you are already prone to it, can really exacerbate it.

I've realised since my diagnosis last year that fatigue is a fact of life. Try energy accounting or keep a diary of activity. Rest before your battery gets empty. Don't boom or bust. Be kind to yourself. Resting isn't wasting time, it's giving your body chance to recover. Its hard when often we can't read our own bodies or needs because of alexithymia or poor interoception.  I've learned the hard way as covid tipped me over the edge but i think i was burning out al ready way before that. But it has made me stop and assess things. It is hard though to find a balance but you need to find a level which is sustainable. If that means reducing what you used to do, for now, that's what you need. Prioritise stuff. Then once you start to feel better you can slowly build it up from there. Once you accept fatigue is part of your life and you cant do everything you used to be able to, you can learn to adjust. I find yoga and meditation helps too.

Children
  • Hi ! Thanks! This is very useful advice! I think like you say, I often don't even notice that I am getting burnt out or how exhausted I am until I just completely collapse. I will try some of your suggestions. Did you have long Covid? I did too and the fatigue then was horrible. It has now been 1.5 years and there have been lots of things going on that could contribute to fatigue so it is hard to say if I still have residual effects from having had covid...