Website building

So I am really wanting to make a go of this working from home thing as a writer, I think it's all I can cope with during my burnout. Realistically, I dont see myself going into a school or office full of people for a while. 

I want to make a website as like a blog type thing for my sports writing. I have tried to do this before, I went to wordpress, bought a domain name and went through their process to build my site but it looked rubbish, couldnt even work out how to set the menus or change the colours, let alone how to get it to appear on peoples google searches so no one ever saw it. Ive tried several times and wasted money on it but cant seem to figure it out. Im not hopeless with techy stuff but im certainly not the best.

Does anyone have any hints or tips or places I could go for advice? Would be really apprecaited 

• I use Squarespace for my photography website, its relatively straight forward as they have many templates to suit everyone's needs. I think they also do blog layouts etc, check them out.

Squarespace

• Don’t get a website they cost a lot I’ve had two websites I shut both down due to how much they cost plus SEO tweet Facebook it’s cheaper and seo etc is done for you. You could get a blog get a web designer to run it for you then send over what you want would be cheaper and easier just a thought 

• I think my first concern is that a lot of people are using Facebook now, and in some countries, it's largely supplanting custom Web sites. Then the other thing I run into, is that I enjoy solving really unique and detailed problems to keep my mind engaged, but Web development could become very cut-and-paste production-line-like, and you may even be stuck doing it that way in order to be competitive. I'd like to hear how it goes. It might just be kind of visceral apprehension, because I suppose you could make a bunch of standard templates and become really fast at it without too much boredom.

• You can blog and periodically post new articles there or take journalism courses and run a channel, put everything on the blog. And then you can develop this blog

• Havnt heard of elementor, Im not very IT savvy. I will message you if thats ok

• If you're still using wordpress I could build it with you, free of charge, you could add me on to your team if you wanted. I used to build websites for clients as a freelancer, currently I'm helping out a relative. But I'll be free to help you soon too

• Do you use elementor? it makes it easier to drag and drop features on your wordpress website. 

• oh and yes hyperlinks/weblinks are where you link the text in an article/webpage, so where a paragraph on a website might say "We would love it if you *send us an email* to request a call" and the send us an email text is a link to a contact page/opens a window to send an email, that would be classed a hyperlink

• google analytics allows you to see the way in which people are interacting with your website. The amount of clicks, the amount of time they spend on which pages, where in the world they are looking at it from, on what sort of device! Basically it breaks down all the statistics to show the busiest times for your site and if teamed up with google ads (for bigger sites) allows you to optimise the amount of traffic to a site when utilising good SEO (search engine optimisation) using keywords which people commonly use in search engines

• My late hubby was into building websites he used WordPress and got on well with it. It had a lot of extras which allowed him to add comment sections and ability to put in YouTube videos. I don't know a lot about it though. You could look on YouTube someone might have done a list online.

• Probobly very silly question but what are hyperlinks? Is that when you post a link to a webpage inside another webpage? 

I havnt tried google analytics, what is that? 

• That sounds good. Do you know what any of the free ones are called? Yes I have a twitter page with quite a few followers so I could definitley publicise it on that 

• It’s been a long time since I built websites. Things may have changed, but spent a lot of my time ensuring I was using the best keywords and tags for my content. Imagine you are going into Google to look up what your site involves. What searches would you do? What words would keep coming up?
    I used plenty of hyperlinks between my pages, and to articles on my pages. When you write blogs or articles, link these back to your website. Use all the social media you can handle and post new stuff consistently, and link it to the pages in your website, make sure you use alt text with all pictures. Put your best keywords in the first paragraph of your pages,  it don’t overdo it. 
    you’ll need to do this regularly. Always checking, changing, updating your pages etc. it doesn’t happen overnight, and I don’t think you will get into the first page of Google. 
    Do you use Google analytics? That used to be quite helpful for me.

• I have an e-commerce site that costs more, but I also have just a website with them which is a lot cheaper. I pay monthly on that one. If you want a basic blog though you’ll probably find cheaper or even free options. Regarding being found on google, that’s what you need to learn seo for. As well as this you need to share the hell out of your website and writings on your website all over the internet. I’m by no means an expert and I still have a lot to learn and work on but I know this is the minimum. There’s literally millions of websites (google says over a billion), you have to put in a lot of work to get views organically - obviously you’re not competing with a billion sites though with the niche you’ll have. I have a Facebook page which I’ve built up over the last 5/6 years, I send people to my website from there. 

• Also does anyone know how to get your website up the search list on google? Every time Ive done one before it seems invisible when Ive searched for it

• I have been having a look at it. It looks good but seems quite expensive. Is there a cheaper option on there, maybe for a more basic site?

Dont know why this is coming out in italitics 

• I just had to google geocities, yahoo, that really was the good old days. Back when the internet was free, and you had to sit waiting listening to the tune of dial up, I started to learn html to build my own site from scratch back then. Couldn’t remember any of it now, but a bit like cars, everything was a lot more basic and simpler back then. 

• Is Wix a website builder too?

• Thank you, I will have a look at squarespace