What are peoples 'special' interests?

Im curious to know what other peoples interests/hobbys are.  Recently I have been studying/growing mushrooms/mycology.  

Before that, it was keeping/breeding tarantulas and invertebrates.  I also have a vast knowledge of insectivorous plants.  As a kid, i practically knew every football player who played in each team.  Was obcessed.  Not so much now.  

So, what is everyone else like to study or spend time one?

Parents
  • My special interest is music. I love it and have studied it indefinitely. I love listening to all kinds of music, I love how it can make me happy, make me sad... I love how so many instruments can make such beautiful sounds. I love how everyone has a unique and different voice. I'm obsessed with music and I love studying it in every way. I'm lucky that I've written to and had letters back from Taylor Swift, Adele, James Blunt, George Michael (RIP) and Michael Bublé.

I have a lot of books and DVDs on music, singers and instruments as well. I have a book on Bowie which says about his style, voice, fashion and life. 

My head is basically just an encyclopedia on music lol.

• I love David Bowie, he is my favourite singer of all time

• He is also mine too! I wish so much sometimes that I was alive in the 70s and could have met him then..The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars is my constant replay album, ever since my Dad played it to me as a baby I think I have loved it

• I love gardening but my existential angst is getting in the way of me being able to enjoy it fully. It's great growing your own food, I find there's a real sense of appreciation for it when eating it. It is hard doing gardening when you feel burnt out though, I find it hard to engage sometimes because of that. It'll come back to you when the time is right.

I'm not a massive fan of 80s but dont mind some like yazoo or the smiths. I like some dance like early 90s hacienda stuff too. I'm a bit familiar with kirsty mccoll...I like the song her father, Ewan did about being a rambler. I also developed an interest in local dialect folk songs. I think some of my interests tie in with notions of identity of my family and where I grew up / live. I know Rocket man but I don't know the lyrics,  I'll have to have a read!

• I love Keeping up appearences too! I havnt heard of Mrs Merton, whats it about? I will look it up. 
    Yes, I got really into 90s music and 70s as well, Thin Lizzy, The Sweet, that sort of thing. 
    I love the song Rocketman by Elton John, it feels like it describes how it feels to me to be autistic.

I like some 80s music but not so much, not into dance music. I like Elvis Costello, Boomtown Rats and a few others. Kirsty McColl I listen to alot, partly cos I love her music and partly cos it reminds me of listening to it with my gran. 

Thats so cool that you can do that with patterns off ebay, I would love to be able to do something like that! 
    I grew carrots and potatoes mostly and a few strawberries and tomatoes. I tried to get into it this year but was too burned out. Im hoping to be able to do it properly next year as now we have our own garden it could be easier 

• Oh I like the good life! I love keeping up appearances altho a bit later in time. And I've been enjoying re runs of Mrs Merton on my local TV channel. I loved blur, oasis, kula shaker and the verve when younger. Then I started moving backwards to the stone roses and beyond. Music is such an integral part of my life. I used to measure people on what music they liked. I still do a bit. I think it's to do with elements of authenticity. For clothes, I get patterns off eBay and did an evening course years ago so have a bit of an idea how to make clothes. I think it's good to find a brand you are comfortable with. I've recently discovered second hand h&m clothes  on ebay so I can double up on the ones I like to wear which they have stopped selling.

That's cool you were able to grow so much stuff!! It seems to take lots of planning with timings etc altho i love gardening, this is something I can't get my head around. To have something in place ready to fill a gap.  What sorts of things did you grow? Do you still do it? 

• Man about the House and The Good Life are my favourites. I have always been inspired by self sufficency and have often tried to do it myself, even managed to grow 3 months worth of veg in the garden once! I like The Likley Lads too and I love the Carry On films. 

I agree, people did seem to have less posessions back then. Even when you look at rich peoples houses, like Jerry and Margo in the Good Life they seem a lot more bare than today. I think maybe its cos there was less technology and no Amazon etc. These days everyone seems to need to have so much in their houses. 

I love Britpop! Whats your favourite song or band? Common People is my favourite song of all time

Thats so cool that you make your own clothes, how do you do it? I find most modern clothes and shoes very poorly made and tailored. Apart from sportswear I tend to just stick to one or two brands I know im comfortable with and thats it. Mainly just FatFace to be honest 

• My favourite quote is from Nathan Barley : The idiots are winning.

That's very much how it feels in this day and age.

• What comedies do you like? I've always loved Some Mothers Do Ave Em. I didn't know until a few years ago that the theme tune is the title in morse code. I've observed in older tv shows that people had far fewer possessions in their houses. Ive watched 90s children's adverts on youtube and old childrens tv clips...I can't believe what we had back then. Seemed like some mental trip compared to today. I loved Britpop in the 90s but I don't think that was typical for a young girl back then. I'm not a massive fan of 90s fashions, especially the ones which are in now. I did like the fashions of "the 70s via the 90s" though as my friend put it. Clothes these days are very ill fitting. I like to make my own when ive got the concentration.

• . I also feel nostalgic for a time I never knew because life is so fast paced and complicated now with everyone too spread out and disconnected. Nothing is original or novel anymore.

Definitley thats how I feel too

Altho it feels more like a natural affinity rather than an interest

Nicely put. I had tried to define what it is for me too but I couldnt and that really makes sense and sums it up

Oh yes, I know there were a lot of bad things in the 70s, if Id live through them I may not like it so much. I just watch a lot of old 70s comedies and TV shows and I can identify with them and the way of life, it seems a lot simpler and people seemed less materialistic.

The 90s I remember but only as a small child. To have been old enough to experience Blur, Oasis and Pulp as a teenager or adult would have been amazing. Also I like 90s fashions because everything was baggy. I like baggy clothes because they are a comforting sensory thing for me. Modern fashions are for tight clothes and that makes me really uncomfortable 

• . I also feel nostalgic for a time I never knew because life is so fast paced and complicated now with everyone too spread out and disconnected. Nothing is original or novel anymore.

Definitley thats how I feel too

Altho it feels more like a natural affinity rather than an interest

Nicely put. I had tried to define what it is for me too but I couldnt and that really makes sense and sums it up

Oh yes, I know there were a lot of bad things in the 70s, if Id live through them I may not like it so much. I just watch a lot of old 70s comedies and TV shows and I can identify with them and the way of life, it seems a lot simpler and people seemed less materialistic.

The 90s I remember but only as a small child. To have been old enough to experience Blur, Oasis and Pulp as a teenager or adult would have been amazing. Also I like 90s fashions because everything was baggy. I like baggy clothes because they are a comforting sensory thing for me. Modern fashions are for tight clothes and that makes me really uncomfortable 

Children
  • I love gardening but my existential angst is getting in the way of me being able to enjoy it fully. It's great growing your own food, I find there's a real sense of appreciation for it when eating it. It is hard doing gardening when you feel burnt out though, I find it hard to engage sometimes because of that. It'll come back to you when the time is right.

I'm not a massive fan of 80s but dont mind some like yazoo or the smiths. I like some dance like early 90s hacienda stuff too. I'm a bit familiar with kirsty mccoll...I like the song her father, Ewan did about being a rambler. I also developed an interest in local dialect folk songs. I think some of my interests tie in with notions of identity of my family and where I grew up / live. I know Rocket man but I don't know the lyrics,  I'll have to have a read!

• I love Keeping up appearences too! I havnt heard of Mrs Merton, whats it about? I will look it up. 
    Yes, I got really into 90s music and 70s as well, Thin Lizzy, The Sweet, that sort of thing. 
    I love the song Rocketman by Elton John, it feels like it describes how it feels to me to be autistic.

I like some 80s music but not so much, not into dance music. I like Elvis Costello, Boomtown Rats and a few others. Kirsty McColl I listen to alot, partly cos I love her music and partly cos it reminds me of listening to it with my gran. 

Thats so cool that you can do that with patterns off ebay, I would love to be able to do something like that! 
    I grew carrots and potatoes mostly and a few strawberries and tomatoes. I tried to get into it this year but was too burned out. Im hoping to be able to do it properly next year as now we have our own garden it could be easier 

• Oh I like the good life! I love keeping up appearances altho a bit later in time. And I've been enjoying re runs of Mrs Merton on my local TV channel. I loved blur, oasis, kula shaker and the verve when younger. Then I started moving backwards to the stone roses and beyond. Music is such an integral part of my life. I used to measure people on what music they liked. I still do a bit. I think it's to do with elements of authenticity. For clothes, I get patterns off eBay and did an evening course years ago so have a bit of an idea how to make clothes. I think it's good to find a brand you are comfortable with. I've recently discovered second hand h&m clothes  on ebay so I can double up on the ones I like to wear which they have stopped selling.

That's cool you were able to grow so much stuff!! It seems to take lots of planning with timings etc altho i love gardening, this is something I can't get my head around. To have something in place ready to fill a gap.  What sorts of things did you grow? Do you still do it? 

• Man about the House and The Good Life are my favourites. I have always been inspired by self sufficency and have often tried to do it myself, even managed to grow 3 months worth of veg in the garden once! I like The Likley Lads too and I love the Carry On films. 

I agree, people did seem to have less posessions back then. Even when you look at rich peoples houses, like Jerry and Margo in the Good Life they seem a lot more bare than today. I think maybe its cos there was less technology and no Amazon etc. These days everyone seems to need to have so much in their houses. 

I love Britpop! Whats your favourite song or band? Common People is my favourite song of all time

Thats so cool that you make your own clothes, how do you do it? I find most modern clothes and shoes very poorly made and tailored. Apart from sportswear I tend to just stick to one or two brands I know im comfortable with and thats it. Mainly just FatFace to be honest 

• My favourite quote is from Nathan Barley : The idiots are winning.

That's very much how it feels in this day and age.

• What comedies do you like? I've always loved Some Mothers Do Ave Em. I didn't know until a few years ago that the theme tune is the title in morse code. I've observed in older tv shows that people had far fewer possessions in their houses. Ive watched 90s children's adverts on youtube and old childrens tv clips...I can't believe what we had back then. Seemed like some mental trip compared to today. I loved Britpop in the 90s but I don't think that was typical for a young girl back then. I'm not a massive fan of 90s fashions, especially the ones which are in now. I did like the fashions of "the 70s via the 90s" though as my friend put it. Clothes these days are very ill fitting. I like to make my own when ive got the concentration.