Loperamide - "has the potential to treat the core 'social symptoms' of ASD"

Don't you just love the news these days?

I have just read, with some considerable bemusement, that this particular anti-diarrhoea medication MIGHT "counteract biological processes underlying ASD" by binding to our μ-opioid receptors - you know, the ones normally affected by heroin, morphine and other opioid drugs.  This is news worthy because it MIGHT impact our "core symptom" of "social communication deficits."  Who knew!?!   I wonder if it will stop us getting the sh**s too?

So it is probably very simple after all everybody - although "further work" will be required to test this hypothesis! [gosh, I love how they keep it balanced.]

I just thought I would lob this red meat into the arena at stupid-o-clock in the morning to give me time to beat a hasty retreat before the lions wake up.  I was never here!!

Parents
  • I saw that article... I'm interested in drug news because I work dispensing drugs in a pharmacy. Loperamide is the most common drug given to cancer patients who are experiencing 'loose stools' as a result of chemotherapy. 

Since it works by thickening up your poo, it clearly makes you constipated if you take it constantly when you don't have diarrhoea.

The only way I can see that it would 'improve social behaviour' would be to force autistic people to withdraw and spend all their time on the loo with constipation. It will quite likely also give them nausea as well so then you have to give them Domperidone to counteract that.

Increasing respect for autistic people and their experiences would go a lot further towards improving social integration, rather than wasting time and money over-medicating a non-medical issue.

• Increasing respect for autistic people and their experiences would go a lot further towards improving social integration, rather than wasting time and money over-medicating a non-medical issue.

That's too threatening to the social order.

Reply Children
No Data