Female, diagnosed at 60

Are there any other people out there diagnosed late in life?

How has it affected your perception of yourself and the life you've led?

My ASD diagnosis has made me feel a lot calmer, and that my likes and dislikes have a justification.

It's also put many of my life experiences and difficulties into a context.

I now know why I have seemed different all my life, with the exception of a few people I know who are maybe odder than me ..

Parents
  • Thank you everyone for your replies to this which I am finding very interesting.

Autonomist, thank you for the link to the video.  Unfortunately I wasn't able to watch it as the combination of written words and spoken words made it inaccessible to me. 

As a linked aside, I can't really watch video easily nowadays.  I haven't watched TV for over 20 years.

I much prefer to read.  Are others similar to me?

• Radio 4 was being pumped into my head for the past 25 years to keep my brain soothed and occupied.  Not so much now due to an upsettingly huge drop in quality in the last 6-8 years - and my new self-awareness of that that has all been about.

Youtube is fab due to its breadth - but 85% of the time I only listen and don't watch.  Ads can be bad for populist material, but much of the content I seek out is pretty interruption free.  I NEVER let the algorithm choose the next thing for me to watch = therein lies the path to hell !

TV - hate browsing / finding a new show or good film.  Love it when something reasonable is found with a sizeable back catalogue of seasons, then stick with it and savour in moderation.  Very rarely as a binge.

• Radio 4 was being pumped into my head for the past 25 years to keep my brain soothed and occupied.  Not so much now due to an upsettingly huge drop in quality in the last 6-8 years - and my new self-awareness of that that has all been about.

Youtube is fab due to its breadth - but 85% of the time I only listen and don't watch.  Ads can be bad for populist material, but much of the content I seek out is pretty interruption free.  I NEVER let the algorithm choose the next thing for me to watch = therein lies the path to hell !

TV - hate browsing / finding a new show or good film.  Love it when something reasonable is found with a sizeable back catalogue of seasons, then stick with it and savour in moderation.  Very rarely as a binge.

Children
No Data