Female, diagnosed at 60

Are there any other people out there diagnosed late in life?

How has it affected your perception of yourself and the life you've led?

My ASD diagnosis has made me feel a lot calmer, and that my likes and dislikes have a justification.

It's also put many of my life experiences and difficulties into a context.

I now know why I have seemed different all my life, with the exception of a few people I know who are maybe odder than me ..

Parents
  • I'm nearly 60 and was diagnosed not long before my 56th birthday. 

To be honest, I think I'm still processing it, with a lot of looking back and reflecting.  Mixed feelings, I think.  I feel as though I've been given the key to really understanding so much of my life and inner experience but, at the same time, I also still feel angry that it's come so late in life - certainly too late for me to avoid many negative experiences but, more importantly to me, to avoid some very sad repetitions within the next generation.

So I kind of feel grateful and overwhelmed at the enormity of what still feels like a fairly new piece of knowledge.  But also hoping that its not too late for this to feed into greater family understanding and a more positive family identity too.    

• I'm nearly 60 and was diagnosed not long before my 56th birthday. 

To be honest, I think I'm still processing it, with a lot of looking back and reflecting.  Mixed feelings, I think.  I feel as though I've been given the key to really understanding so much of my life and inner experience but, at the same time, I also still feel angry that it's come so late in life - certainly too late for me to avoid many negative experiences but, more importantly to me, to avoid some very sad repetitions within the next generation.

So I kind of feel grateful and overwhelmed at the enormity of what still feels like a fairly new piece of knowledge.  But also hoping that its not too late for this to feed into greater family understanding and a more positive family identity too.    

Children