Female, diagnosed at 60

Are there any other people out there diagnosed late in life?

How has it affected your perception of yourself and the life you've led?

My ASD diagnosis has made me feel a lot calmer, and that my likes and dislikes have a justification.

It's also put many of my life experiences and difficulties into a context.

I now know why I have seemed different all my life, with the exception of a few people I know who are maybe odder than me ..

Parents
  • Welcome to the forum. I hope you will find a lot of understanding here and decide to stick around.

I was diagnosed aged 50 and so much of my life finally began to make sense. Since then it has been somewhat of an emotional rollercoaster, as I have reframed past experiences through an autistic lens. I expect that my journey of discovery of my autistic self will continue to evolve.

The issues facing older autistic people are largely overlooked and this needs to change. More people are being diagnosed later in life but I suspect many more will probably remain undiagnosed throughout their lives.

Earlier today I was watching a very interesting video by a late diagnosed autistic person https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHsBXh9zyL0&ab_channel=NEAutismSociety

• Welcome to the forum. I hope you will find a lot of understanding here and decide to stick around.

I was diagnosed aged 50 and so much of my life finally began to make sense. Since then it has been somewhat of an emotional rollercoaster, as I have reframed past experiences through an autistic lens. I expect that my journey of discovery of my autistic self will continue to evolve.

The issues facing older autistic people are largely overlooked and this needs to change. More people are being diagnosed later in life but I suspect many more will probably remain undiagnosed throughout their lives.

Earlier today I was watching a very interesting video by a late diagnosed autistic person https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHsBXh9zyL0&ab_channel=NEAutismSociety

Children
No Data