Why does there seem to be a high proportion of paedophiles with autism or aspergers?

I've been watching a lot of the paedophile hunter sting videos lately and almost all of the people they catch either have autism, ADHD , or in some cases a more severe learning difficulty. 

Obviously not all autistic people are paedophiles , and not all paedophiles are autistic but why is there perhaps a disproportionately high number of child sex offenders who are on the autistic spectrum? 

Parents
  • I'm not convinced they are. Maybe they're just the easier ones to catch. Also the police are not big fans of these so called pedophile hunters. They've been known to almost push people into breaking the law, in the sense that a jury looking at the evidence would conclude that if the 'hunter' hadn't almost engineered the illegal behaviour a crime would never have happened. That makes it hard to get convictions.

Also autistic people may be more vulnerable to having their behaviour engineered by others. Which is a fair description of the way many so called pedophile hunters operate.

• Oh I'm not endorsing paedophile hunters especially as 90% of the time they seem to engineer the situations. 

But the person would still have to message the underage girl or whatever , whether the "underage" person was real or fake. The hunter groups don't do entrapment 

• Do they not? Or do they just not edit their videos to look like entrapment? They're not regulated by anybody and a lot of them seem to be in it for the clout / fame. What if they start by saying 'hey I'm 18' then later they after they've turned the conversation sexual they say 'hey I'm actually 15' to see if the conversation continues. Would you know if they cut the earlier part out? Might still be a crime but would look a lot like entrapment.

Especially since some one might think, 'well if I'm guilty I've probably already committed the crime so why stop now.' That looks a lot like entrapment to me.

• Depends where you are on the autism spectrum some people also have learning difficulties with their autism such as slow on their school leading and having get referred to a special school that would out that person with autism with learning difficulties as well.

• May I see the research and studies conducted as I would like to know the sample size, how samples were chosen, and any variables. 

Let's say the sample size is 10, how good will the evaluation be if 8 were autistic? Is the sample size big enough that only 2% of participants are autistic? 

Then may we acknowledge situational variables, paedophiles wait until the moment they can abuse without being caught which brings us a variable, how many are caught? 

If there is more autistic people on the register that just means more autistic ones have been caught, it does not indicate autistic people are any more likely to be paedophiles. 

• The most audacious sting was of an 18 year old "man", who had been planning to meet s 9 year old sex...initially the decoy said they were 14 and then changed to nine which seems dodgy. The guy was in training school to be a cop. The judge spared him from prison because of his autism and intelligence. It resonated with me because I was into the same thing as he was (police roleplay servers on GTA not nine year old boys) etc. 

• Perhaps these staged scenarios merely tend to trap naïve people, and autistic people tend towards naïveté more than allistic people. Any potential savvy sexual predator would tend not to fall for this sort of trap.

From my own experience, I knew one convicted paedophile. We were at school together and he later went on to become a secondary school teacher. He was convicted and jailed. He was definitely not autistic, he was one of the cool, popular boys at school. He was confident, an extrovert, was good at sports and was successful with the opposite sex.

• I don't know about the US but in the UK entrapment isn't a great defence to these sorts of crimes. Yes juries don't like it but saying 'I was entrapped' isn't really a defence in the uk even if it's true. (entrapment can be abuse of process but only if the entrapment was conducted by the state)

• Most of them seem to be charged and go on the register. They're aware that if they do entrap there's no chance of conviction. There's some good ish groups which are relatively professional and then some unprofessional ones which just insult the person, makes them say they're nonces etc 

• Most of them seem to be charged and go on the register. They're aware that if they do entrap there's no chance of conviction. There's some good ish groups which are relatively professional and then some unprofessional ones which just insult the person, makes them say they're nonces etc 

Children
  • Depends where you are on the autism spectrum some people also have learning difficulties with their autism such as slow on their school leading and having get referred to a special school that would out that person with autism with learning difficulties as well.

• May I see the research and studies conducted as I would like to know the sample size, how samples were chosen, and any variables. 

Let's say the sample size is 10, how good will the evaluation be if 8 were autistic? Is the sample size big enough that only 2% of participants are autistic? 

Then may we acknowledge situational variables, paedophiles wait until the moment they can abuse without being caught which brings us a variable, how many are caught? 

If there is more autistic people on the register that just means more autistic ones have been caught, it does not indicate autistic people are any more likely to be paedophiles. 

• The most audacious sting was of an 18 year old "man", who had been planning to meet s 9 year old sex...initially the decoy said they were 14 and then changed to nine which seems dodgy. The guy was in training school to be a cop. The judge spared him from prison because of his autism and intelligence. It resonated with me because I was into the same thing as he was (police roleplay servers on GTA not nine year old boys) etc. 

• Perhaps these staged scenarios merely tend to trap naïve people, and autistic people tend towards naïveté more than allistic people. Any potential savvy sexual predator would tend not to fall for this sort of trap.

From my own experience, I knew one convicted paedophile. We were at school together and he later went on to become a secondary school teacher. He was convicted and jailed. He was definitely not autistic, he was one of the cool, popular boys at school. He was confident, an extrovert, was good at sports and was successful with the opposite sex.

• I don't know about the US but in the UK entrapment isn't a great defence to these sorts of crimes. Yes juries don't like it but saying 'I was entrapped' isn't really a defence in the uk even if it's true. (entrapment can be abuse of process but only if the entrapment was conducted by the state)