How to find friends/girlfriend as an autistic male, 19

I'm 19 and have no friends or girlfriend. I always struggled to understand why i didn't really have friends, i never really had when i started middle/secondary school. Everyone just thought i was shy etc. I tried university but it didn't really work out, i got very ill, i struggled to focus on the course (literally yesterday i was diagnosed with adhd), so i quit, and then i found out that people had made up malicous rumours about me and the girls i was with just thought i was funny and never stayed in touch after i left. How do I find friends or a relationship with a girl etc? I've had one girlfriend it was someone i knew from elementary/primary school who we connected with in lockdown but it lasted barely 2 months if that. I've tried apps like tinder and i can never understand if people are joking or not by the stuff they say on there, usually they just want sex and often theyr'e just plain malicous girls. I think I met an autistic person on a forum who i talked to for a while, a girl, but this might sound bad but I feel like i'd deal with dating an autistic person id find that harder than dating a neurotypical? In the case i had when i was talking to this girl she was just very clingy and would like say "i guess you dont like me" if i didn't reply to a text straight away etc. I'm so lonely and its driven me to suicide attempts before. I've been on my own for so long im just "sick of it" - statements like "oh focus on yourself" dont really mean anything ive had plenty of time for that. I don't really have any typical autistic hobbies tbh - I just like going to the gym, driving, and ocassionally writing.

Parents
  • I'm sorry to read this.  I felt the same way for a very long time.

I mostly agree with what other people have written here.  I don't think your situation is hopeless, but I do think people on the spectrum take longer to find friends and partners than NTs.  I certainly took a very long time.  Please try not to give up hope.  I agree it would be good if you can try to find somewhere, perhaps focused on an activity you enjoy, where you can meet people without the pressure to make small talk.

• I'm sorry to read this.  I felt the same way for a very long time.

I mostly agree with what other people have written here.  I don't think your situation is hopeless, but I do think people on the spectrum take longer to find friends and partners than NTs.  I certainly took a very long time.  Please try not to give up hope.  I agree it would be good if you can try to find somewhere, perhaps focused on an activity you enjoy, where you can meet people without the pressure to make small talk.

Children
No Data