Job applications

Hi, I'm interested to hear of people's experiences when applying for jobs.

Did you disclose at the outset that you were on the spectrum? If so, do you think this helped or hindered the process?

I realise some employers are more open to employing from a neuro-diverse pool than others, I would just like to get a sense of whether it is a good idea to disclose or not.

Thanks in advance

(and if anyone knows of any online articles on this topic, I'd be very grateful if you could post a link).

• I discovered I am autistic whilst in my current job and have met with nothing but positivity and support.  I have however known I am dyslexic since my late teens and have often disclosed that where I think a small reasonable adjustment might be necessary at interview.  No one ever said 'no' to me.  

That said we all know this is an issue that can swing both ways.  It might put some employers off interviewing or appointing but then hide their motive somehow.  Some, however, have fabulous equality and diversity policies and live up to them (most councils and public service bodies are good at that in my experience) and some even actively want to recruit autistic people with particular skill sets.

Maybe the answer is do your homework on that particular organisation before you decide whether to disclose and ask for any required reasonable adjustments.  And the your decision might be different in each case.

• * Post removed by moderator due to SPAM/advertising *

• the interview I was closest to getting job, I ended in final 4 out of 500, I got distracted by a fly on a wall behind 3 interviewers in 19th minute of interview that was meant to last 20min, they probably noticed me looking past them instead of eyecontacting

• Don't see why you need to until you have the job, and might possibly have some limitations that need to be catered for.

No NT person would apply and say, 'btw, I'm bad with multiplication, doing my taxes makes me depressed, and I once offended my manager by being insensitive' ...why are we often expected to disclose our negatives so quickly?

It is our business until the time you decide it isn't ThumbsupGGood luck

• I had successful interview twice, for lowest pay jobs when someone working there already vouched for me

• I never succeeded with a job interview. The jobs I had were either;

1. Placement Year at Uni.

2. Civil Service jobs; which required no Interview.

3. Voluntary Work.

• Hiya,

I'm assuming that you are applying for a job?

I didn't mention it on my application, i prepared and scripted my interview so they wouldn't know. after about 5 days, i let them know about the autism, i said i didn't expect any adjustments, i just wanted them to know so they were aware.

i think it depends on how your autism affects you. if you loudly stim, then you should probably mention it on the application because they will want to know and will find out pretty soon anyway so might be best that they get a warning. they legally can't discriminate however we are all aware that many employers still discriminate anyway.

Alisha xx

• If I apply for a job I get no reply.

If someone else does my applications I will most likely get the job unless it's a government position.

• do you think this helped or hindered the process?

I think it was irrelevant, because they simply don't want weirdness on daily basis, and unless you can mask like autistic women they'll pick up on your oddities

some employers are more open to employing from a neuro-diverse pool

or so they say, I was specifically looking for those jobs during last year, attended few interviews, all unsuccessful, only to find out during last one I had that it is still an open offer to all neurotypes, so in other words it is still popularity contest against allistic, I haven't seen them hiring any autistic, or autistic working in places offering jobs as autistic friendly, so it looks like they are just using us to make themselves look politically correct