Brilliant autistic book Neuroqueer Heresies by autistic academic Nick Walker

Hello fellow autistic people, I thought I would recommend this brilliant book by Nick Walker. It’s about the neurodiversity paradigm and autistic culture, it is basically a collection of her essays on these subjects.

I hope this interests you and you enjoy the book as much as I do!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neuroqueer-Heresies-Neurodiversity-Empowerment-Possibilities/dp/1945955260/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=2D4T9NJO9MFI6&keywords=neuroqueer+heresies&qid=1660426637&sprefix=neuroq%2Caps%2C120&sr=8-1

Parents
  • Thanks for the recommendation, I'm intrigued. Now just need to be able to quell the onslaught of ADHD distractions to allow me to start & finish it.

I'll let you know how it goes Thumbsup

• You are very welcome. Hopefully you will find that the book entices  your dopamine seeking ADHD brain enough to avoid any distractions.

It’s a great book to hyper focus on and make detailed notes.

I hope you enjoy it!

I look forward to chatting to you about your thoughts on the book.

• I have the book, it just arrived. Being unfamiliar with the term neuroqueer, I flicked to that section, and I'm afraid it was so confusingly written I am going to have to try again.

Is it only relevant to those who identify as queer from the LGBT community?

Confused.com

• I thought that too initially but neuroqueer actually is defined as liberating yourself from act of neuronormativity. Similar to unmasking, I think.

Hopefully this definition makes more sense to you as you read on.

• Although, I'm not sure atm but doesn't the term neuroqueer just try to replace the word neaurodivergent? Not sure it is necessary? But I will keep reading

• Great. The book is relevant for everyone not just those who belong to the LGBT+ community.

The definition of Neuroqueer is anything that you intentionally do to liberate yourself from neuronormativity. An example of this is freely stimming in public. Neuroqueering can be likened to unmasking.

This means that if you Neuroqueer you typically also do not conform to societal gender roles.

You may be getting confused because Nick Walker frequently compares the experience of neurodivergent people are treated by neurotypical society with how other marginalised groups such as the LGBT+ community were treated and stigmatised.

I hope this explanation makes sense.

I do agree that some of Walker’s writing is confusing and repetitive, but I found the majority of the book quite accessible to read.

You may find this video useful, Nick Walker talks about her book whilst other autistic people review it;

https://youtu.be/MiqOjkKvHN0

• Great. The book is relevant for everyone not just those who belong to the LGBT+ community.

The definition of Neuroqueer is anything that you intentionally do to liberate yourself from neuronormativity. An example of this is freely stimming in public. Neuroqueering can be likened to unmasking.

This means that if you Neuroqueer you typically also do not conform to societal gender roles.

You may be getting confused because Nick Walker frequently compares the experience of neurodivergent people are treated by neurotypical society with how other marginalised groups such as the LGBT+ community were treated and stigmatised.

I hope this explanation makes sense.

I do agree that some of Walker’s writing is confusing and repetitive, but I found the majority of the book quite accessible to read.

You may find this video useful, Nick Walker talks about her book whilst other autistic people review it;

https://youtu.be/MiqOjkKvHN0

Children