Sensory issues

Hello all. 

I'm awaiting an assessment for diagnosis, it's a 27 month wait list and my god am I struggling. I find my main struggles are sounds. I'm struggling to sleep because things are waking me, cars on the road, dogs barking, others in the house moving around.....the smallest of things. I've got white noise playing when I sleep and also sometimes have ear plugs in. If I'm at home and sat watching TV etc and I hear a dog bark, loud car pass my house etc it really triggers me, I can only describe it as making me feel ill and angry. I hate these feelings. Not sure what I can do. There's a list of other things too but the sounds is definitely the worst! Any advice would be so appreciated 

Thanks

Lois 

Parents
  • Hi Lois, yeah sounds can really make you wince and make your head ache. Electric sounds like fans, hoovers, people clicking their tongues, whistling and buses going chhsssss. Just thinking about it makes my head spin.

I saw another member suggest noise cancelling headphones and I definitely second this suggestion. Definitely invest in some, believe me they are a lifesaver and you won't regret it. I took the gamble and I'm so glad I did, I wear them every time I go out now and it makes sounds outside more bearable.

I'm sorry you've got to wait so long. Feel free to keep in touch here whilst you wait, I find this community such a helpful place to be. 

• Hi Emmy. 

Thank you for your reply. Its warming to know that others understand how I feel. A few have mentioned the noise cancelling headphones and said they are a god send, I think I'm definitely going to get myself a good pair. I will keep in touch, I'm sure I'll have lots more questions on here and everyone seems so welcoming and friendly, I'm so glad I found it. 

• Hi Emmy. 

Thank you for your reply. Its warming to know that others understand how I feel. A few have mentioned the noise cancelling headphones and said they are a god send, I think I'm definitely going to get myself a good pair. I will keep in touch, I'm sure I'll have lots more questions on here and everyone seems so welcoming and friendly, I'm so glad I found it. 

Children
  • Hi Slater1, that's great!

I'm glad you're going to get yourself a pair. They are really handy and a huge help. You can just put them on when things get too much as well and that will block out everything around you. I do that a lot and it's so soothing.

This community is fab. Everyone is so kind and supportive, I'm so glad I found it all those months ago. I'm glad you find the same.

Take care.