Sensory issues

Hello all. 

I'm awaiting an assessment for diagnosis, it's a 27 month wait list and my god am I struggling. I find my main struggles are sounds. I'm struggling to sleep because things are waking me, cars on the road, dogs barking, others in the house moving around.....the smallest of things. I've got white noise playing when I sleep and also sometimes have ear plugs in. If I'm at home and sat watching TV etc and I hear a dog bark, loud car pass my house etc it really triggers me, I can only describe it as making me feel ill and angry. I hate these feelings. Not sure what I can do. There's a list of other things too but the sounds is definitely the worst! Any advice would be so appreciated 

Thanks

Lois 

Parents
  • Sounds are my number one nemesis too. Engines (cars and motorbikes), pots and pans clanging together and people sighing are some of the worst in my opinion. When I experience these, it feels like my head is going to explode. 

I have heard that people use loop earphones and noise cancelling headphones, but I’m yet to try either. I tend to play my own music over the top if I’m doing something when there is the chance I’ll run into one of the dreaded sounds. I put earphones in and play music when I’m taking the bins out front where cars drive by. At least that way, even though I’m still experiencing sound, at least it’s partially on my terms.

I’ve even been known to ‘check the coast is clear’ before venturing out my front door. One of my neighbours was even vacuum cleaning the porch roof the other day. That really did make a racket, but also was a very funny image!

• Hi coffee Guyz I totally get you, cars are my absolute nemesis too, especially those boy racer ones *covers eyes and sighs* the pain I feel! I wish we didn't have to try and adapt for normal life, I think that's what throws me off, because it's just normal life sounds I struggle to think of how to help myself with them. Here's to hoping in 2 years I can get some good advice.

• Hi coffee Guyz I totally get you, cars are my absolute nemesis too, especially those boy racer ones *covers eyes and sighs* the pain I feel! I wish we didn't have to try and adapt for normal life, I think that's what throws me off, because it's just normal life sounds I struggle to think of how to help myself with them. Here's to hoping in 2 years I can get some good advice.

Children
No Data