Being intense/clingy, and doubting diagnosis

Hi,

I recently lost a very significant, formative, and long-lasting friendship. I also had strong romantic feelings for this person, which they had said they were fine with. Recently they told me they didn’t want to be in touch because they feel I need more from them than they’re able to give.

Yesterday another friend told me I ‘could ease off a bit’ after I expressed concern and gave them some info about potential travel disruptions for them during the coming heatwave.

Both experiences happening in fairly quick succession have made me realise how intense and clingy I am. I used to see the clinginess as loyalty, and engaging deeply as a way of expressing care. But now I know it pushes people away, and I don’t know how to stop.

I doubt my diagnosis a lot - I’ve had two assessments, both of which diagnosed me, but neither was as in-depth as some of the ones I’ve heard about. In the more thorough one, my dad told them things that weren’t true, and I really wasn’t myself in my own interview.

The intensity thing does make me wonder if autism could explain my difficulties relating to people, but am I just making excuses? Is that last thought internalised ablism?

Ideas on any of the above would be much appreciated

Parents
  • Our emotions can be very intense and intense focus on a relationship isn't uncommon in autism. Moreover it can be difficult to read others well enough to know when to back off. So, those things aren't precluding your diagnosis.

Much depends on how good your assessors were. The good ones will see through parental perceptions or misperceptions and any masking or 'not being yourself'.

How much time they give it depends on how much evidence is there. Sometimes it's straight forward because the autistic presentation is obvious. Sometimes, they need much more time because it is so subtle, with lots of learned coping strategies in the way, or there might be co-morbidities to disentangle.

What do you think your dad said that doesn't fit with your perception? If you are doubting your autism, what do you think could be the alternative explanation? Have you had sight of your profile report? That should point to what the assessors were seeing as evidence, which might help decide whether this reflects you or not.

Be mindful, some people post diagnosis do experience a touch of impostor syndrome...it's normal enough to have the doubts.

• Thanks for your thoughts Dawn.

I certainly have intense emotions, and have focused (obsessed might be more accurate) on relationships since I was about 8 or 9. Vefore then I didn’t really have friends so it didn’t apply as much.

My dad said things like that I cover my ears and rock from side to side when things get too loud - I do cover my ears, but I don’t rock. He said I would run away and cry when made to wear clothes I found uncomfortable as a child, which I didn’t…

In my assessment, I was extremely awkward and not open enough, so they said I can struggle with emotional reciprocity and two-way conversation, which I did on the day as I didn’t know them and there wasn’t much time, but usually these are strengths for me.

I’m blind, which some people seem to think could explain all my traits, although I don’t think so. Many of my traits became more accentuated around age 11 or 12, so maybe a mix of social anxiety and sensory processing issues could explain my experiences - although I know it’s not unusual for traits to emerge when social pressures increase, which makes sense to me. I did have some traits when I was little though:

I would come home and spin around until I fel over, I was always very sensitive to touch, food textures, and later sound, preferred to be alone or with adults rather than with peers, enjoyed collecting specific things etc… I’m not sure, there are so many factors, but a really thorough and accurate assessment would have been validating. A third assessment would be excessive though, I don’t think my parents would participate.

• I hope its ok to ask: is your blindness partial or can you read the forum with enlarged text? Or do you use speaking software to assist you? Dont feel you have to answer and sorry if it sounds nosy. 

• Self-adapting braille - wow, thats very impressive tech. What an age we live in! Glad you have a few options

Reply Children
No Data