How long does a burnout last?

Hi, I finally realised that I’m autistic in December, I was fine about it for a couple of weeks and doing a lot of research. I then one day had an unexpected appointment thrust upon me which caused one of the worst meltdowns that I have ever had. It was the full 4 horsemen of the  apocalypse. I couldn’t get out of bed for 48 hours. That was six months ago, since then I’ve just been constantly tired and have no interest in anything, I’m self employed and just can’t engage with my work. It’s as if I’m drowning. I’ve been processing every thought of the last 50 years, I seem to fit adhd as well, my mind is always at Mach 2, I have never been able to sit still and anxiety is 24/7. I’m on the waiting list for an asd assessment, not knowing the time span is driving me mad, I’m actually thinking of selling the family house so I can get a private assessment. I’ve cut down on work as I can’t manage taking very much at the moment. I tried antidepressants but felt no different.  Any ideas people?

Parents
  • Five years, but that is because I was treated very very badly. 

Just focus on you, and do things you want to do. daydream, stay off social media, maybe watch some youtube videos like Matt D'Avella  or The Minimalists, that helped me. You dont need to sell you house for a private assessment. Save up £20 a month if you can, and go get either a partial or full assessment. Antidepressants avoid, just eat healthy and change your day to day patterns into something peaceful. Take time to make that good cup of tea or hot chocolate, start enjoying all the little things. 

Get extra sleep, take the right amount of vits. Have breaks, dont watch as much news. Read good books, watch good films or short TV programmes you liked. Okay I am much younger , but I love vintage TV so what about stuff you watched years ago like I love Lucy, old 1980s episodes of Neighbours, or Only fools and Horses. stop watching the crap that is on nowadays. And go back in time for a while. Listen to vintage music The beatles or what ever you like. go for a wee walk, get a coffee in a cafe. that sort of thing. put value on the little things. and let the rest go.  

• Hi Summer, thanks for your reply. I did start taking vitamins a few weeks ago. We did get the house valued yesterday. To be honest, our children have grown up and left home, the house is just too big. We live in about a third of it. We live in a nice village that’s five minutes from the underground and also B.R lines. Some of the best schools are in within catchment. Basically the agent has a list   of people wanting to escape London. We are going to move to another village about 5 miles away which is on the canals. Smaller house and no mortgage, I’ve been trying to keep all the plates spinning for decades and it has nearly killed me. I can start to enjoy my life now and work on ways to help me navigate autism a bit better. Finally knowing there is a reason that I’m different has been life changing.

Take care.

• Hi Summer, thanks for your reply. I did start taking vitamins a few weeks ago. We did get the house valued yesterday. To be honest, our children have grown up and left home, the house is just too big. We live in about a third of it. We live in a nice village that’s five minutes from the underground and also B.R lines. Some of the best schools are in within catchment. Basically the agent has a list   of people wanting to escape London. We are going to move to another village about 5 miles away which is on the canals. Smaller house and no mortgage, I’ve been trying to keep all the plates spinning for decades and it has nearly killed me. I can start to enjoy my life now and work on ways to help me navigate autism a bit better. Finally knowing there is a reason that I’m different has been life changing.

Take care.

Children