Something about older autistic adults (>60), for a change

To me there still seems to be a gap in the market, with most resources focussing on autistic children and young adults and hardly anything for older people.  So it makes a change to see a video on the experience of older autistic people. 

We could really due with resources that cover the whole lifespan, I think, including end of life care (my unidentified autistic dad died on a busy, noisy ward (radio 2 blaring constantly, as if this would automatically be helpful to patients) which, even though I wasn't aware of our neurodivergence even just a few years ago, I know would have made him much less comfortable).

Dad enjoyed peace and quiet, or maybe a little Radio 4 and I remember thinking that it was a pity he wouldn't wear earphones (great difficulty putting up with anything around his head or face, including glasses).  We all need and deserve much better as we grow older.

www.youtube.com/watch  

Parents
  • Thanks for sharing this video. I’m not in that age bracket just yet, but I’m not young. I’m not diagnosed yet either. But I found it really relatable. I wish someone had of pointed things out to me at some point, rather than telling me in a roundabout way I was weird, or pushing me out of their life. I’m already at the stage (and have been for years) where I find it’s easier to not have anyone in my life rather than try again and be let down again because people just don’t like me. As well as not being able to cope with how intense it is to have people in my life.

Sorry, I realise this post isn’t about me and I probably shouldn’t be posting about me, I’m just trying to get my head around everything and get this rollercoaster of thoughts in some kind of order. Am I autistic, am I a fraud, am I just not a nice person, maybe there’s something else wrong with me, so many questions right now. I have my pre-diagnosis booked in 2 months times, it’s part relief and partly petrifying, and an added presence of thoughts in my head where I have too many questions already. 

Apologies, the video made me feel a connection and I felt I had to say something. 

• Thanks for sharing this video. I’m not in that age bracket just yet, but I’m not young. I’m not diagnosed yet either. But I found it really relatable. I wish someone had of pointed things out to me at some point, rather than telling me in a roundabout way I was weird, or pushing me out of their life. I’m already at the stage (and have been for years) where I find it’s easier to not have anyone in my life rather than try again and be let down again because people just don’t like me. As well as not being able to cope with how intense it is to have people in my life.

Sorry, I realise this post isn’t about me and I probably shouldn’t be posting about me, I’m just trying to get my head around everything and get this rollercoaster of thoughts in some kind of order. Am I autistic, am I a fraud, am I just not a nice person, maybe there’s something else wrong with me, so many questions right now. I have my pre-diagnosis booked in 2 months times, it’s part relief and partly petrifying, and an added presence of thoughts in my head where I have too many questions already. 

Apologies, the video made me feel a connection and I felt I had to say something. 

Children
  • I’m glad you did. I can identify with all of that very strongly. 

• Yes, much of what they say is very relatable, irrespective of age.  I just found it quite unusual to see older people represented as quite often the focus is on early identification and support plans for school.  Plus I think the video brings out the thoughts and feelings around late identification, even if that identification comes before age 60.  It was 55 for me.

And you're right - it can be a rollercoaster with our minds teaming and speculating with questions going round and round as we wait for each round of the assessment.  

If it's any consolation, I definitely find it gets easier as time goes by, we perhaps feel more settled with this new knowledge and we can use it to inform future plans and decisions.  And it's great to start making those connections. 

For myself I'd say it's been like a homecoming.  There were things about my family that I always knew about but which I found hard to integrate into any real understanding or prospect of change.  But now I feel as though I've been given the key.  And with it comes a much clearer picture of what has been happening, what there is to appreciate, what there is to take more care over and where to make those connections.  I'm so glad to now be able to find my neurokin.