My husband isn’t supportive

Hello, I feel like there is tonnes of support out there for people who are related to, partners of, or work with autistic people, but nothing on the reverse for autistic people so am looking for some advice or thoughts.

I’ve just been referred for a formal autism assessment so am waiting that appointment. However, my husband doesn’t ask questions, want to listen or engage with anything about doctors appointments or autism. He literally just ignores it and walks away. I feel like he is either embarrassed of me, doesn’t believe me, or doesn’t care. I’ve tried to ask him why he doesn’t want to know anything about it but he always twists it back to me and how I’m being awkward etc - which makes me think I am? But in my gut I know I’m not. I don’t know what to ask him or how to speak to him. I want this to be the start of living my authentic life as my authentic self and I feel so happy to have my referral. But I feel like I am the only one who feels like this and to him I am just a weirdo - but it also doesn’t make sense to me, he married me so why wouldn’t he care about what’s going on with me?

Parents
  • Well, I had exactly the same issue with relatives, but I do not have to live with them Slight smile

It is frustrating, but part of the issue might be because you are labeling yourself as something else, while actually you have always been yourself and will stay as yourself. It is hard to tell what is exactly an issue from the side of your partner. Maybe he is accepting you already the way you are and if that is the issue, why it would be a fuss. Unless there are some other issues, where this attitude is seen as part of them.

want this to be the start of living my authentic life as my authentic self

Well, it is not really going to be a start, but rather continuation with perhaps some better wisdom.

• Well, I had exactly the same issue with relatives, but I do not have to live with them Slight smile

It is frustrating, but part of the issue might be because you are labeling yourself as something else, while actually you have always been yourself and will stay as yourself. It is hard to tell what is exactly an issue from the side of your partner. Maybe he is accepting you already the way you are and if that is the issue, why it would be a fuss. Unless there are some other issues, where this attitude is seen as part of them.

want this to be the start of living my authentic life as my authentic self

Well, it is not really going to be a start, but rather continuation with perhaps some better wisdom.

Children
No Data