ASD Email disclaimer?

Hi all,

Non ASD people seem to struggle with my abruptness and straightforwardness in my emails. I’m told they come across as aggressive and cold and can be upsetting. 
I don’t see it that way at all no matter how many times I read and rewrite. It also causes issues in my professional life too. 
I'm thinking of adding an email disclaimer saying I’ve ASD and to make allowances and responses should be short and sweet. 

has anyone else done this? Is it a good idea? Or am I just opening myself to hassle?

thanks x

Parents
  • This is an interesting thread - and the first I have read as a new member to this forum. It is reassuring to know that it is not just me finding email etiquette (or, more so, the way in which my emails are inferred by others) to be slightly troublesome in working life. I am fortunate in that now that I am working at a university, email etiquette in this sphere does seem somewhat direct anyway. However, issues lie more so in communicating with non-academic professionals in my experience. I have therefore inserted a small line, in italics, at the footer of my signature. Hopefully this raises basic awareness so that colleagues/students know that my communication is genuinely well meaning and not in fact, bossy or rude. On the other end of the spectrum, sometimes my emails (rather like this reply, actually) can end up being ramble. I imagine I would have more issues if working back in the corporate world where perhaps more expectation is placed upon how communication should be. The email footer is a bit like a virtual lanyard for me now. I hope you're all getting on okay and have found your 'way' of communicating this in emails, however subtly.

• This is an interesting thread - and the first I have read as a new member to this forum. It is reassuring to know that it is not just me finding email etiquette (or, more so, the way in which my emails are inferred by others) to be slightly troublesome in working life. I am fortunate in that now that I am working at a university, email etiquette in this sphere does seem somewhat direct anyway. However, issues lie more so in communicating with non-academic professionals in my experience. I have therefore inserted a small line, in italics, at the footer of my signature. Hopefully this raises basic awareness so that colleagues/students know that my communication is genuinely well meaning and not in fact, bossy or rude. On the other end of the spectrum, sometimes my emails (rather like this reply, actually) can end up being ramble. I imagine I would have more issues if working back in the corporate world where perhaps more expectation is placed upon how communication should be. The email footer is a bit like a virtual lanyard for me now. I hope you're all getting on okay and have found your 'way' of communicating this in emails, however subtly.

Children
No Data