ASD Email disclaimer?

Hi all,

Non ASD people seem to struggle with my abruptness and straightforwardness in my emails. I’m told they come across as aggressive and cold and can be upsetting. 
I don’t see it that way at all no matter how many times I read and rewrite. It also causes issues in my professional life too. 
I'm thinking of adding an email disclaimer saying I’ve ASD and to make allowances and responses should be short and sweet. 

has anyone else done this? Is it a good idea? Or am I just opening myself to hassle?

thanks x

Parents
  • I think this sounds like a good idea. I luckily don't have a job that requires emailing a lot but for important emails I show them to my NT partner who is good at coming across warmly to people. Maybe insert the hidden disabilities sunflower to draw the eye to it too so people can't skim over it. People should adjust their expectations of you if you have disclosed this aspect of yourself. If they don't then at least you know who is fine being openly ableist. I feel like reasonable people /should/ learn to not take it personally if they know the reason behind it.

• I think this sounds like a good idea. I luckily don't have a job that requires emailing a lot but for important emails I show them to my NT partner who is good at coming across warmly to people. Maybe insert the hidden disabilities sunflower to draw the eye to it too so people can't skim over it. People should adjust their expectations of you if you have disclosed this aspect of yourself. If they don't then at least you know who is fine being openly ableist. I feel like reasonable people /should/ learn to not take it personally if they know the reason behind it.

Children
No Data