ASD Email disclaimer?

Hi all,

Non ASD people seem to struggle with my abruptness and straightforwardness in my emails. I’m told they come across as aggressive and cold and can be upsetting. 
I don’t see it that way at all no matter how many times I read and rewrite. It also causes issues in my professional life too. 
I'm thinking of adding an email disclaimer saying I’ve ASD and to make allowances and responses should be short and sweet. 

has anyone else done this? Is it a good idea? Or am I just opening myself to hassle?

thanks x

Parents
  • Excellent idea!

It's more the information processing that causes me a work glitch. I've added a strap line to my e-mail signature saying I am dyslexic and autistic and may need time to switch between tasks. I need time to read and process information you send me before I can talk or listen about it.

I have seen other autistic people do that with something along the lines of: I am autistic and I communicate by being direct. I never intend to be rude. Or: I am autistic and find it hard to deal with nuance. To help me provide what you need from me, please be direct and unambiguous in your request.

Have a think about what the one big thing others could do for you is and sum up in one sentence.

How it is received depends on your work place culture. Mine is great. My boss in a teacher who has taught hundreds of kids on the Spectrum and values his staff who also are (I'm not the only one). Others aren't so lucky in their work place, but legislation is on your side.

• Excellent idea!

It's more the information processing that causes me a work glitch. I've added a strap line to my e-mail signature saying I am dyslexic and autistic and may need time to switch between tasks. I need time to read and process information you send me before I can talk or listen about it.

I have seen other autistic people do that with something along the lines of: I am autistic and I communicate by being direct. I never intend to be rude. Or: I am autistic and find it hard to deal with nuance. To help me provide what you need from me, please be direct and unambiguous in your request.

Have a think about what the one big thing others could do for you is and sum up in one sentence.

How it is received depends on your work place culture. Mine is great. My boss in a teacher who has taught hundreds of kids on the Spectrum and values his staff who also are (I'm not the only one). Others aren't so lucky in their work place, but legislation is on your side.

Children
No Data