Questioning if I understand the consequences of my actions

As a person with Autism Spectrum Disorder, I am afraid that I could commit petty sexual crime without mens rea, because I don't understand some body languages very well, specifically body languages that are supposed to be simple to understand, and I don't understand mixed messages very well, even though it's obvious. 

I get scared that I can't agree or disagree if I am being inappropriate, even when my friends say that I am a good friend to them. 

I know that studies say that people with Autism Spectrum Disorder are more likely to be victims than being perpetrators, but the problem is crime is a very broad term, and you need social skills to follow specific laws. Lacking social skills can highten the risk for petty criminal behavior, specifically related to invading boundaries.

I sometimes become violent and very stressed when I am in a completely different environment, and at the moment, I don't feel safe, but to others, I am seen as a criminal. It's embarrassing!

Parents
  • This is where I can assist, I work for the Police and I can assure you this is not the case.

The NAS has provided a helpful guide for the police on what to do if we come across someone who is on the spectrum.

Many of my colleagues are also Autistic, so have an understanding of what is going on.

On the point of Conviction Rates, this is not a thing, Qoutas like this are unlawful and impede on Human Rights.

It's a shame you think this way, as I have never seen any of my colleagues act like this or in my experience dealt with an Autistic person with any less respect than an NT.

In my time in the Police, I have only dealt with anyone with ASD as a victim or when they are having a full blown meltdown in a public place.

Never treated them as an easy way to get a prosecution, as that is illegal. If there is evidence they committed an offence than unfortunately they have to be dealt with, but their condition will be noted and there will be assistance put in place for them. This is not the 1970s

[Quotes in this thread have been removed by a moderator for GDPR purposes]

•  never had any good interactions with the police as my way of communicating puts them  on the back foot and I have an attitude its normally remarked .
    I now have an emergency card so I can show if I seem distressed or anxious , I had to use it once when delivering to a police station as my vehicle blocked the road with a van and someone came up to the window shouting profanities at me and remaking he was going to nick me! by this time my anxiety has gone crazy,  Managed to pull the card out of my wallet and gave it to him and the change in his behaviour was instant ,
    I had done nothing wrong as my vehicle was parked where is was meant to. All the evidence was on dash cam as well but never received any apology. So no amount of police trying to win hearts and minds will change my mind as I have to carry a card with me just to exist!. 

•  never had any good interactions with the police as my way of communicating puts them  on the back foot and I have an attitude its normally remarked .
    I now have an emergency card so I can show if I seem distressed or anxious , I had to use it once when delivering to a police station as my vehicle blocked the road with a van and someone came up to the window shouting profanities at me and remaking he was going to nick me! by this time my anxiety has gone crazy,  Managed to pull the card out of my wallet and gave it to him and the change in his behaviour was instant ,
    I had done nothing wrong as my vehicle was parked where is was meant to. All the evidence was on dash cam as well but never received any apology. So no amount of police trying to win hearts and minds will change my mind as I have to carry a card with me just to exist!. 

Children
  • But it feels like an irrational fear of being afraid of all police officers, that can create a stigma against police officers as a whole just because of some bad or ignorant apples.

• You have described the problem that exists in the force , Lack of training or not wanting to understand it .
    It is a tough job yes, but a policeman who cannot keep a positive mental regard in a stressful situation is not a policeman.

• I feel worried about you, because most police officers are polite, although there are some people officers that can misconstrue our symptoms of ASD, dues to huge misunderstandings and lack of training.

• Training is one thing , but in the real world incidents are not like training, I will never approach the police again sorry.

• I agree. Most police officers I met are very polite, there are some police officers that can misconstrue my symptoms of ASD, but it's just due to huge misunderstanding.

• Far better, and internally support for ASC Officers and Staff is massively improving and I hope with these steps, that in the future we can provide a better service, but the police are a snapshot of society, they come from the same communities as we do, so as society changes so does the Police.

Please don't be scared to approach the police if you need them.

This isn't a hearts and mind attempt, this is the truth

• What you said makes more sense, you work with people like us.

Police training is actually much better than it was before, not much police brutality as it was.

• I am not saying they are wonderful, I have come across completely rude individuals in my time, that have belittled me and made out that I didn't know what I was doing.

But attitudes are changing, slowly I give you that, but it's no different from the general public.

I expect there to be a level of no knowledge, why would someone who isn't autistic know about Autism if they have never come across someone like that?

I am lucky to have worked with wonderful people who go the extra mile, it seems everything is negative about the one thing that I excel in