sensory issues

Hi

I have noticed recently that my sensory issues are a lot worse in the morning, especially with sound. My wife's daily conference call is grating to the ears, I have to often ask her to speak softer, when someone comes downstairs and turns on the lights I have a spike of irritation, I keep noticing small sounds that I don't normally hear like the ceiling fan etc.

Does anyone else have this issue? Why does it happen? Is it normal?

Fwiw I am recently self-diagnosed and working on getting my formal diagnosis but money is tight and I have enough issues as is.

• Eating at restaurants with TVs is horrible, even if the sound isn't on or down low. I don't watch news programs, or like sports. I downrate hate watching them. Yet I will stare at them entranced if they are on the TV at a restaurant. I have to position myself with my back to them as best I can or else my husband is never going to get much omegle.2yu.co of my attention.

• Ha!! Similar experience recently with my house. It had been empty for a few months before we got the keys and the "other people dank smell" was a hardy smell to get out. Gave myself headaches spraying all the surfaces with bleach and putting air freshener everywhere to absorb/cover the smell. Incidentally I discovered that for the first few days of having plug in air freshener, to adjust to the fragrance, I don't switch the mains on. Get used to the smell first, then turn it on. Aerosol is another one for me, can't abide it.

• I think my worst experience was when we had been away on holiday, this was only a few weeks ago. Our teenage son decided to have a party the night before our return. The day of our return, in order to cover the smell of stale alcohol, he sprayed all the furniture and I think everything else in some sort of lavender oil. I couldn’t breathe, my wife thought I was over reacting and it led to me having a meltdown. It took days to air the room. It was like being in a perfume shop. I tracked down the offending bottle which is now in the neighbours garden somewhere.

• We all have a degree of discord or imbalance we can deal with. I would suggest that a major key ingredient in an Autistic Individual is our natural ability to sense imbalance and rebalance. Our natural ability to catch inconsistencies and troubleshoot. It's why we accidentally mention the elephant in the room. But more than a few of these ONGOING, unresolved and everything is monstrous. 

I would take inventory of the sensory frustrations in your life. We can all only suffer a few per day IMO.

i literally despise the sound quality that comes out of phones and laptops/computers. There's actually a reason it's unpleasant. It's not a set of natural frequencies. Not only is the audio compressed in unnatural ways but it's also digitised, which means at a micro level it's a square wave an not a round one. Our ear canals are designed to easily pick up round waves. It takes extra effort for the human hearing mechanisms to process auditory signals which are square. If I were to show you a visual, it literally is like trying to put a square block into a round hole.

My son will listen to his phone from the other room and A. I know it won't last too long B. I'd rather he were around than not, so, I remind myself how much i love him. But he knows how hyper-sensory I am, so if it's too much I'll just bring him some glorious headphones I bought for him. 

Now chemicals in smells should be illegal. They aren't but they should be. I have it in me some day to carry around one of those incredibly expensive metres and collect calculations. When we talk about scent, we're discussing particles too small to the naked eye, but ones which interact with the lungs, the bloodstream and the gut. How is cigarette smoking in front of others illegal but candles and chemical scents and incense not?? These give off sometimes far worse VOCs (volatile organic compounds). I have an allergy to some. Many chemically made candles create formaldehyde when burned. A little chemistry class here would help. 

As someone mentioned below, you could sound proof the area your wife is having her calls in. If money is tight, there are cork floor blocks for children to put on the floor. And you could put up a few cheap photography back drop stands + thick wool fabric around the room can help until you can afford acoustic panels depending on how long this lasts. 

• 5 seconds is a lifetime in a Lush shop!!!!! For me, I always detested that the perfume counter was always at the front of every department store. Sensory nightmare. 

• There is one young girl that comes into our pub, she has a voice like a chainsaw. I’m on edge constantly. Was at a shopping centre last week and my wife took me to a “Lush” shop, I did really well and managed 5 seconds!

• I know exactly what you mean about the scented candles. At my office, the reception area on the main concourse had an artificial smell blown in, (at Christmas it was pine needles and mulled wine) and I had to hold my breath until I got in the lift. I had to complain about it but nothing was done.... "because it's a nice smell". This is of course, subjective. Perfume on the commute is a real killer for me, and when they sell perfume on the duty free on a plane, and they all start puffing it around.

Especially know what you mean about when you're out socializing, as people raise their voices don't they, more and more to compete over each other. Some of the ladies I've worked with in the past had a particularly high tone in their voices that cut my eardrums into shreds!

• Mine tends to be first thing in the morning, my wife gets up before me and likes to put the tv and radio on and then whistle loudly. I have to put on noise cancelling earphones. If I’ve been out and had to cope with other people then I can spike quite easily. Went to our village pub and there were scented candles lit on the bar, felt sick and then could feel myself getting overwhelmed.

• You may benefit from Loop earplugs. I have a pair. They have different types based on what the sensory issue is that you have, so there's earphones for complete blocking out of all noise, earplugs for reducing noise and earplugs for sleep. Sensory issues are particularly stronger first thing in the morning when the body's sensory system is waking up and adjusting, and also when it is run down and in need of rest or if you're stressed. It heightens the sensory system and develops into overload. 

My neighbour happens to have a child with extreme ADHD and often disturbs us at odd times when we're either meant to be asleep or powering down for the evening. I'm getting some more soundproofing installed this weekend which should help block out the sound he makes. It also improves the acoustic quality of your own room which means the television can be knocked down a couple of notches, and the clarity of speaking and listening to phone calls is much clearer... and will naturally dim in volume.

Hope this helps.

• Mine is worse when I have not slept well or stressed.

• Hi! My sensory tolerance tends to get worse as the days go on. I’m considering investing in some ear defenders for my household, especially one child is also autistic and one on the waiting list for ADHD assessment. Do you think that ear defenders and dark glasses might help with your sensory difficulties in the morning?