Do you work?

Do you work, or study, or just do things around the house?

I'm jobless at the moment. But I am looking for work but I failed at school and have nothing to aid me getting a job. The idea of working makes me so nervous but surviving without income looks hard, and in time I want my own family one day so I need to be able to provide.

I was looking at studying but I'm too nervous and I'm not very good at learning which I guess is why I failed school. 

So at the moment I'm just doing things around the house and am trying to better myself Slight smile

• I did well with studying. Both school and university were very structured environments where it was clear what was required. I dropped out of a PhD where that structure wasn't present. From my experiences of workplaces (summer jobs in offices etc) knew I wouldn't cope so found work I could do from home. For a while I was editing science papers (my degree is in physics) and now I write very formulaic SEO content. I like that I don't have to interact with people and it fits in around whatever else I want to do. I've been doing that for about 11 years.

• DM me re support options , thanks 

• I've never been anywhere except the hospital to visit someone sick if everything

• Your careers sound interesting. Do you have a favourite one? :) 

I didn't do well in school. Too much noise, too many people and the work was so hard and there was a lot of bullying to endure through it all. This led to a lot of anxiety for me! And the end result wasn't worth all the hassle, in the end I failed everything. Found exams way too stressful just got everything wrong. Thanks for your suggestions I do appreciate it and I'll look in to them.

• Omg he is just the cutest!

• I will tell you an open secret.

Most people have a goal in life, something to do or achieve.  But when they get there, they discover it's not what they wanted and it's a big disappointment.

I achieved the educational qualifications I wanted.  It hasn't made me happy.

I have travelled, but many of the places I visited made me want to go home.

I live in a quality flat that I admired for years, but I am sitting in bed depressed.

I really don't know what I want and I suspect millions of people feel the same.

• Ive never gotten to do anything I wanted to do

• I can understand finding answering things like that difficult. I would probably not be able to answer that on the spot. I'm so glad you're feeling like you are getting better each time :) that's so positive for you! They say practice makes perfect and I think that's true.

Well done I'm super happy for you :) 

• Hi Jim, this is Otis at work. He does howl if someone is playing a harmonica.

• Aw bless you. That must have been draining for you but such a sweet thing to do. My mum cared for my dad when he was sick for months until he sadly died.

• Hi Roy, that sounds really fun for you to do! :) I can't remember what ones but my dad used to restore classic cars as well, mum said he used to really enjoy that and would spend hours working on them. I'm sorry you went through burnout, I've had that a few times it takes a lot of rest and recovering. I hope you are doing better and being kind to yourself. Take it one day at a time.

Your Jack Russell sounds adorable! I love dogs they are to sweet.

• Sounds like you have a lot going on. That must be tiring. It's great though that you can get a job as in when you need or want to. Working with people on the spectrum must be interesting. Do you support them with things?

• I helped care for mentally ill mother too which is still affecting me to this Day

• Thank you. Relaxed

I have difficulty elaborating and answering abstract questions such as; "why do you want the job?" and "tell us about yourself". Though I do feel as if I am slightly improving each time I have an interview.

• Hi Roy, Is Otis wire-haired? When I was young at boarding school a kindly old gentleman would visit the dorm at night and tell us stories of his time with the secret services (I think he made them up but at the time I did not know!) and I would float of to sleep listening to the warmth of his voice. He went everywhere with this docile wire-haired jack russell and so I have a great fondness of them to this day. I like the short-haired too. I would be particularly pleased should you tell us that Otis sings (howls to music!).

Best wishes to you both,

Jim

• Hi Jess, I work restoring classic cars, I find it quite therapeutic, working to exact measurements and quality really suits  me. I work totally alone so don’t have to talk or listen to others all day. I only communicate with customers by text. Had a burnout in December and now managing about 5 hours per day now I’m back at work. I take my Jack Russell Otis with me, he’s all the company I need. I do occasionally get customers turn up uninvited, they often make a comment of, “ you must be so lonely being on your own all day”. If they only knew! If you do have to talk to people unexpectedly, I find having a set chat in place quite helpful. When they get down to the weather, I then have to get rid of them as I’m bored by then.

• I am currently doing a lot of things at once, but mostly internships are what keeps me going. At this point in my life I am not even qualified to have a job (even though I am a quick learner) partly because of the setting of the internship. I am also currently working with people with severe or moderate ASD which can be a little infuriating at times.

Let's just say my situation is incredibly complicated but to put it simply: If I wanted a job, I could possibly succeed with little to no support.