Any other Autistic adults who have no desire to be in a relationship ?

Hi there everyone, new here!

Bit about me - I am currently a 23 year old self diagnosed high functioning Autistic female who is currently on the very long waiting list for an assessment. 

I was wondering if anyone else here feels the same as me and weather its common for this community

I have no desire whatsoever to be in a romantic relationship. All my friends and family are either married or seeing someone and I seem to just not have any desire for it, although strangely I do feel jealous when seeing it, even though for myself I just don't see it ever happening. I guess its more due to my social issues than anything else. I don't find other people interesting, when people talk to me its like its going through one ear and out the other. I have really never plucked up the courage to go on dates without a stiff few drinks first. Same goes for friendships. I have friends yet really I couldn't care less if I lost them or never saw them again. I'm not a mean or distant person, I just really don't need social interaction to live a full life.

I feel perfectly happy living alone, being alone and having a solitary life with my pets! Anyone else feel the same? Or am I bad person who needs to change...

Parents
  • this is a really interesting thread.......  i struggle with my few friends, feel they (must be, right?) are worth so much... yet so problematic. but this thread is the flip side.... 

one thing i wonder about - what do you guys do when you need someone for a hand or ride or to help with something? do you just do it alone, and accept the fact that if something needs two people - you'll just pay someone or do without? i'd assume that means a lot of independence and determination, or having a hard time because you'll have to do without on certain things.....

silly me............. i misread the title as meaning --- being totally isolated... i guess they meant be in a 'relationship' meaning... like a couple or.............even.................omg........married, etc... 

• this is a really interesting thread.......  i struggle with my few friends, feel they (must be, right?) are worth so much... yet so problematic. but this thread is the flip side.... 

one thing i wonder about - what do you guys do when you need someone for a hand or ride or to help with something? do you just do it alone, and accept the fact that if something needs two people - you'll just pay someone or do without? i'd assume that means a lot of independence and determination, or having a hard time because you'll have to do without on certain things.....

silly me............. i misread the title as meaning --- being totally isolated... i guess they meant be in a 'relationship' meaning... like a couple or.............even.................omg........married, etc... 

Children
  • I have a friend that will do things for me, like, phone the dwp, do passport applications and flat removals and ferrying around by car, petrol money and treats get reimbursed, he is an ex public relations man, from the higher reaches of industry and can talk any upset person into loving me and all my delightful eccentricities. We have known each other for over forty years. We do have our blow outs and I avoid him for months at times but the old bonds always reform. He can be very annoying indeed at times, especially when he has been drinking, but the good outweighs the bad in the scale pan of human relationships.