How can I prepare for the assessment?

So after a two year wait, I finally have my initial assessment appointment in a few weeks. (I'm a 35 year old female) Not quite sure why it's called "initial" as I've already had several phone assessments where we discussed the AQ and EQ questionnaires... But that's beside the point.

What happens at this face to face appointment? Will it just be one appointment, or will there likely be several? What kind of things do they ask? I get really nervous and draw a blank when I get asked things I wasn't expecting, is there any way I can sort of prepare for this assessment? Maybe just make a list of certain things, or think about some answers to certain questions, but I don't know what they'll be asking.

Any advice from those of you who have already gone through the process? :)

Parents
  • I had mine at a similar age - my advice would be, don't prepare. The more research you will do, the more you'll over-think it, and you'll just be trying to recall the "right" answers that you think they want to hear, to the questions you are expecting them to ask.

At the end of the day, they are not trying to catch you out or trick you in any way. Their role is not in any way to "prove" that you are not autistic, any more than the onus is on you to "prove" that you are. You're not in court!

I saw two people when I had mine, first a woman and then a man, with some waiting in between - I was probably there about three hours in total (when I said "don't prepare," you might want to prepare a drink, a snack and something to read!). They were very nice - it certainly felt more like an informal chat than, say, a job interview or something stressful like that. I did bring my emotional support plush Kiwi, but he wasn't really needed.

Also, bear in mind that drawing a blank when asked a question you weren't expecting is a very typical autistic thing to do - it may make you feel awkward, but it certainly won't hinder a diagnosis - probably the opposite!

• I think that your approach, while honest, might not be suitable for someone who habitually camouflages and masks when with strangers, and who is very good at it, having had decades of practice. It would not have worked for me. My only visible autistic trait, as described by the psychiatrist, was a somewhat 'flat affect'. My diagnosis was firmly based on my traits as described by me, my recollections, and those of my wife. I find that the anxiety of situations like the assessment tends to make me forget things, so having a detailed set of written notes was absolutely vital for me, and my peace of mind beforehand.

• Yeah, fair enough. I think I was very relaxed for a couple of reasons - firstly, I had absolutely no doubt in my mind that I was autistic, and because it was so totally obvious to me, it never occurred to me that it could be anything short of totally obvious to a professional in the field (and apparently it was pretty obvious - I suppose not many grown women take a cuddly toy to their medical appointments). And because the diagnosis was something I wanted and felt entirely positive about... I mean, I'd have been a little bit disappointed if they'd said no, but the NHS was always the first roll of the dice, I'd have paid for a second opinion if I'd needed to.

• I was often looking around the room and only really looked at him while i was listening. All the best for your assessment!

• I've got my assessment on Friday and it's by video call, I'm exactly the same hate video calls never use them, never know where to look. 

• Yes, I know the feeling, "I don't think I'm autistic enough". Then something happens, and suddenly you know full well that you are definitely not neurotypical.

• I was also impressed with the psychiatrist who assessed me. It was the first time I felt really taken seriously and understood throughout this entire process.

Ironically now that I have my diagnosis I feel less certain that I have autism haha I've heard it can happen, imposter syndrome type thing. I'm also currently off work looking after my toddler but I'm sure as soon as I get back into work life all my triggers will kick back in.

• I was also impressed with the psychiatrist who assessed me. It was the first time I felt really taken seriously and understood throughout this entire process.

Ironically now that I have my diagnosis I feel less certain that I have autism haha I've heard it can happen, imposter syndrome type thing. I'm also currently off work looking after my toddler but I'm sure as soon as I get back into work life all my triggers will kick back in.

Children