Politics: Do you guys find it hard to find a reason to vote anymore or is it just me.

I use to be a brittish conservative just so the yanks on here don't get confused but now I don't vote at all. I'm not even sure politics makes sense to me and see it more as a modern day religion or cult. When you watch people debate in parliament you have to question why do we allow these people to run the country at times. But voting genuinely seems pointless and doesn't seem to mean anything to me personally. Just find it odd how people get so wrild up about or defensive about if politics is like there life or something it's kind of sad really cause SDK yourself what do the government do for you besides raise taxes and make life more difuclt. By that I mean they claim to give us a pay rise then the next year they increase taxes which completely defetes the objective of a pay raise as even if your pay does increase by a small amount if taxes rise then your money still doesn't go far due to tax inflation canceling it out. It's as if they take us for fools. 

Parents
  • The trouble with voter apathy is it tends to give the green light to political parties to do what they want, knowing that it won't affect them so much at the next election as there are a few groups they can always rely on.

The current system is also very flawed and not fit for purpose. Much like in America, the elections are often decided by a minority of people in marginal constituencies and loads don't go out to vote since they live in 'safe' seats and it's unlikely to make a difference. That said, our PM's behavior may have changed a few minds recently.

I think it's a bit of a shame that people don't exercise this important democratic right (though I do understand why people feel it's devalued) and then complain about the government that they get 

• I vote in all elections, local or national (and formerly EU), I consider it a civic duty. Many people have died or suffered ever since the Civil War in the 1640s in order to gain, expand and defend the right to vote and allow the people to hold governments to account.

• I used to feel like that, but since Covid, with all the things that have come out, I’ve come to realise that the problems in our world can never be solved by politics, there is not any political solutions and never will be, politicians are only in politics for thier own personal gain and don’t really care about ordinary people, voting is both a sham and a scam and it’s pointless - I’d sooner live under an absolute monarchy or millitary dictatorship because at least that would be more honest and people would know where they stand - I’ve come to admire Islamic countries where Sharia law is in force and where they have a dedicated religious police to enforce the religious laws of that country 

• I would of course be referring to Ireland in particular, especially given Ireland’s history where we Irish held onto our Catholic faith, even through the anti-Catholic persecution by Oliver Cromwell in the 1600’s with the Penal Laws (Cromwell still being a hated name in Ireland to this very day), yet I was also amazed to discover that in English history how the Catholic faith here in England was very strong and still is to the point that some English kings even converted to the Catholic Faith on thier deathbed and privately remained Catholic - as for our own history from the Easter Rising of 1916 and beyond the Treaty of 1921, the Irish Civil War in 1922 and beyond, under Taoiseach Eamon De Valera (who was later President in the 1960’s) and Archbishop John Charles Mc Quaid, where in many parts of the British Empire there was an Irish Catholic Priest or Nun to be found somewhere, including on the African  Missions, so in a way, that was a form of a religious police, as the Irish Free State and later Republic of Ireland after 1949, because of our Constitution Bunreacht Na hEireann maintained a strong Catholic ethos, which started to slip after the 1960’s & 1970’s, except in Rural Ireland - everyone in the Ireland of that time, including An Garda Siochana ((police) and every TD in Dáil Éireann from the Taoiseach down held onto the Catholic faith as being central to our Irish identity 

• I would of course be referring to Ireland in particular, especially given Ireland’s history where we Irish held onto our Catholic faith, even through the anti-Catholic persecution by Oliver Cromwell in the 1600’s with the Penal Laws (Cromwell still being a hated name in Ireland to this very day), yet I was also amazed to discover that in English history how the Catholic faith here in England was very strong and still is to the point that some English kings even converted to the Catholic Faith on thier deathbed and privately remained Catholic - as for our own history from the Easter Rising of 1916 and beyond the Treaty of 1921, the Irish Civil War in 1922 and beyond, under Taoiseach Eamon De Valera (who was later President in the 1960’s) and Archbishop John Charles Mc Quaid, where in many parts of the British Empire there was an Irish Catholic Priest or Nun to be found somewhere, including on the African  Missions, so in a way, that was a form of a religious police, as the Irish Free State and later Republic of Ireland after 1949, because of our Constitution Bunreacht Na hEireann maintained a strong Catholic ethos, which started to slip after the 1960’s & 1970’s, except in Rural Ireland - everyone in the Ireland of that time, including An Garda Siochana ((police) and every TD in Dáil Éireann from the Taoiseach down held onto the Catholic faith as being central to our Irish identity 

Children
No Data