Dentistry and hair cuts....

I have a phobia of the dentist....so have bought tools to descale my teeth and remove all my own tooth debris....and hate people near my head....so i learnt to cut my own hair and am pretty proficient....enough so that my family ask me for haircuts....i dont offer dental though haha.....anyone else do things like this?

Parents
  • Does anyone have any advice on how to help a 6 year old boy with asd get a hair cut?  We have tried everything from ultra quiet shaver to cutting his hair with scissors (we don’t even attempt the hairdressers) but nothing seems to make the process go better. He hates loud noises (hand driers in public toilets being the worst, any advice appreciated for that too) He also hates the thought of loosing/saying goodbye to his hair (but also doesn’t like it if it’s long.) When he was a baby up to about 4 we could cut it whilst he slept but he is a light sleeper now so we can’t manage to do it that way. Thanks 

• Could you just try leaving it until he asks himself for it to be cut. Then ask him who he'd like to cut it, how and where. Does he have the language skills to tell you?

Reply Children
  • He is just starting to be able to explain how he wants it cut and gets excited about the thought of it. But as soon as you begin cutting he starts to have a meltdown. We have had lots of half finished hair cuts! We have often left his hair to grow long but then the process of having it cut takes a lot longer. He only has about a 2 minute attention span!