Received diagnosis last night - what now?

Hi all,

I received my diagnosis of high functioning ASD last night and I’m guessing I’m not alone in wondering what’s  next, what do I do with it etc etc. 

So now I know I’m different and that non Autistic people have bullied me relentlessly through your my life and I’m in my 50’s - because I’ve a disability - great, thanks for telling me. 

What I wasn’t expecting was to be just left to it with vague ‘get some CAT therapy’ advice. 

Any advice, pointers appreciated. I know I’m different and yes the diagnosis helps but HOW am I different? Why do people think it’s ok to be mean and unpleasant to me, what do these bullies see when they interact with me?

I feel I can’t learn to be like them if I don’t know how I’m different to them. 

Dies that all make sense. 

Thanks in advance. 

Parents
  • You should have been given a reading list by the assessment team. Crack on with those. Get in touch with local NAS branch and find a support group. If you can go for long walks and reflect, or reflect at home away from screens. Participate in this forum. Look at other threads posting exactly the same thing and what the advice has been. Go on YouTube and watch videos made by other autistic adults which offer advice. Today is the best time to find out you are autistic, there is a wealth of resources, knowledge, and support. It will be even better in future.

• I concur absolutely.

look at your best features and enjoy them.

Dont dwell on your disabilities and negativity……. If you can

meditate the positivity 

Reply Children
No Data